Combining two stencils

Started by robmcvick, January 08, 2022, 04:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapperdude

This seems like totally wrong path for the OP.  He has a stencil open, and then wants to bring up a 2nd, related stencil.  Stencils are not same as collections.
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

Hi, Mr. Dude!

May be you are right! I'm sorry, I'm Russian...
Quote from: robmcvick on January 09, 2022, 04:45:20 PMI have attached a screenshot of the two stencils
IMHO at screenshot not stencils, there are two master-shapes!!!

wapperdude

...haven't been at my computer.  Back now.  Ah.  looking at his screen shot, it's hard to tell exactly, as the resolution isn't great, but it looks like this is about two views of same shape,  and doesn't involve stencils.  So this is a terminology error.  Or is it just me?

If that's the case, then what OP wants is certainly doable.  Assuming these are just images and not actual Visio shapes, then, they could be grouped, properly aligned.  They, double click could toggle the visibilities, hiding one and revealing the other.
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

Quote from: wapperdude on January 10, 2022, 09:23:50 PMit's hard to tell exactly, as the resolution isn't great, but it looks like this is about two views of same shape,  and doesn't involve stencils.
just googled at picture - it looks like Cisco ONS 15454-M6-SA
Download stencil there

robmcvick

they are two master stencils and yes it is an ONS 15454. I got the stencils from the CISCO website

robmcvick

Surrogate

Quote from: robmcvick on January 10, 2022, 10:10:41 PMI got the stencils from the CISCO website
It is very ancient stencil (device not supported now), these master-shapes are not SVG-objects (emf) :(

robmcvick

I assume it is not possible then?

Surrogate

Quote from: robmcvick on January 10, 2022, 10:33:04 PM
I assume it is not possible then?
You need include front and rear view into one shape, which can show front and hide rear sub-shapes and vice-versa ?

wapperdude

First, some terminology.  A stencil is a collection of shapes.  What you show is two shapes from the Cisco stencil.

So, what you want to do can be done.  See attached.  This is a grouped shape, consisting of the two Cisco shapes, overlaid.  Right click the group shape and it brings up menu with "Toggle View".  Click this entry to toggle the view.  There are other ways, but using Double Click event is a bit of a problem as the Cisco shapes use this event to bring up menu.

The Cisco shapes are images with some Visio functionality.
Visio 2019 Pro

robmcvick

wapperdude,

how did you do that? and thank you.

wapperdude

I've updated the Visio file.  Page 2 contains the steps for the creation process.
Visio 2019 Pro