Search for a shape by name in a template?

Started by YossiD, July 29, 2021, 11:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YossiD

I have made my own Visio templates with shapes I created as well as consolidations of standard Visio shapes. Since there are lots of shapes in these templates it often takes me a while to find what I want. Is there a way to search for a shape by its name within a template?

Thanks.

Surrogate

Do these shapes in your custom stencils have unique names?
If so all instances of these master-shapes have names like <ShapeName>.<SomeNumber>
you can use Find command at group Editing or you can use hotkeys Ctrl+F...

You need specify master-shape name and сheck the checkbox for "Shape name" option

YossiD

That works fine for shapes on a drawing page, but I am looking for shapes in a template. I was hoping for a "Find in template" right click option inside the template, but alas, no such thing, at least not in Visio 2013.

Surrogate

YossiD

Surrogate

Quote from: YossiD on July 29, 2021, 01:11:20 PM
Perhaps the correct term is Stencil.
Did you try build-in tool Stencil search ?
Quote from: M$FT in artcile Find more shapes and stencilsFind shapes and stencils in Visio 2016 and Visio 2019
You can search for shapes and stencils that are local to your device. You can also search for stencils that are online, created by third-parties or Microsoft.

YossiD

Didn't notice that. I tried it now, but it didn't find anything, even in standard Visio stencils.

Thanks anyway.