Centre rotated shape on a line

Started by iand, July 14, 2021, 08:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iand

Hi!

I have a hexagon shape and have drawn bisecting lines through each internal angle crossing at the centre to give me an alignment grid.

I have a rectangle, representing a wooden rail, that I have rotated by -60 degrees using Shape Size & Position.

What I now need to do is to overlay the rectangle on the bisecting line with the same angle and then to centre it on the line so that the wooden rail is shown from centred on an internal angle to the centre of the hexagon.  I will need to do this for each of the six internal angles.

The problem I have is that having rotated the rectangle, when I select the line & then select the rectangle, using shape alignment centre or middle uses the pre-rotated position of shape and does not achieve the result I need.

Is there a way to snap a rotated shape to another along a midline?

Ian

vojo

that has not happened with me.   I use similar approach for making gears and pie slices.
could try making line a group to make 2D and try center middle to see if they line up better

wapperdude

Check the rectangle shapesheet and verify that LocPinX = 0.5*Width, and LocPinY = 0.5*Height.

Note, for hexagon, you don't need the intersecting lines to find the center.  From hexagon shapesheet, the above settings produce precisely same spot.  All you need to do is select the hex and then rectangle and align for middle and center.  Then deselect all.  Reselect rect, and set its angle as desired.  It will rotate about the LocPin location.  Repeat for the other two rectangles.

@Vojo:  what kind of pie?
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

pie as in a wedge shape.....not a slice of apple pie