Flip the flow chart

Started by awa123, June 20, 2021, 09:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awa123

hello,

i am trying to flip the flow chart as describe in the attached picture, when i flip it with
"ctrl+H" i loose all the shape...

is anyone knows how to do it ?

Many thanks

Paul Herber

Could you post the actual Visio file here?
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

awa123

hello Paul

here you go

thanks for your help

Paul Herber

Not good.
Many of your lines aren't glued. It helps if you have glueing enabled.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

awa123

thanks for your feedback

indeed i always prefers to work without glued connexions to be more flexible when i move the shapes...

Nevertheless i 've made a try to flip a glued shape (cf attached file please) and it is still not a real symmetrical flip, is there an explanation to it ?

thanks

wapperdude

Do this...
Select your 3 shapes and group.
Then, select your 1-D shapes and change behavior of each to 2-D. 
Unselect and re-select the group. 
Duplicate and flip horizontally.

Ungroup and return each shape back to 1-D behavior.
Visio 2019 Pro

awa123

thank you wapperdude, it works

Just one point : i don't understand why when i ungroup the 3 shapes at the end, it separate and split the different shapes from each other , make your own try you will see

wapperdude

Strange.  The 1st time I did it, worked fine.

Now, it behaves just as you explained.  The problem is the conversion to 2-D.  It's destroying the formulae for the endpoints.  Restoring the 1-D behavior ends up being wrong.  So this solution isn't all that great.  Sorry.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Well, there may be a clunky work-around.  Basically, the idea is to take a 2-D shape and convert it to a group.  Then, select the 1-D shapes that are glued to it and add them to the group.  Then, duplicate the group, place it, and then flip it.  Since the line points all reference the group shape, they seem to flip just fine.  I think, because the 2-D shape is the group, this works fine as it forces all the internal group points to flip.  Ungroup.  Everything remains glued and positioned as desired.

This can be done for remainder of 2-D shapes.  Note, if all groupings are made before duplicating, it is possible to cascade the groups.  So form the 1st and 2nd groups.  If 2nd group has lines not in 1st group, but are connected to it, then, add 2nd group to the 1st group.  Similarly, a 3rd group couuld be added to 2nd group before 2nd group added to 1st.  Then 2nd group could be added 1st group.  You can build up structure that has a single top grouped and cascaded subgroups.  The top group could then be duplicated, placed, flipped, and then multiple ungroups to get back to  original structure that is now flipped.

Play around with this approach.  There's probably various scenarios that work or don't.
Visio 2019 Pro

awa123

Thank you wapperdude for your help and sorry for my late answer

I've played with your interesting approach but unfortunately it still doesn't work:
--> First of all, if i don't convert the line connector by a 2 D shape before flipping, it goes away
--> so i manage to flip only if i convert the line connectors by a 2 D shape but after when i ungroup i am still facing a problem cause it goes away (the line connectors)

maybe it could be interesting that you share a screen shot of the parameters you have checked of the 3 tabs from the "behaviour" (in the Developper Ribbon)

vojo

then you are not doing it right....line stays when you group flip ungroup.

wapperdude

Tried the technique with your file... and it doesn't work.  Trying to back track steps.
Visio 2019 Pro

awa123

i've recorder in video my manipulations

here it is my 2 tests :
1st try : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH_LUqqUiEU
2nd try : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQqc5h7SzWo

if you can tell me where i am missing something i would be grateful

awa123

wapperdude

I took another look and there doesn't seem to be a solution for your current drawing.  The issue is the connectors.  They're designed to be dynamic.  Period.  For your drawing, to flip and not get the serious side effects, replace the connectors with lines... and use gluing.  Simple, straight line connectors typically behave fine wrt flipping.
Visio 2019 Pro