Hyperlink magic

Started by Crazy Squirrel, December 10, 2021, 11:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Squirrel

Hi you super lot.  I have an out of this world request but I know you you will be able to give me a straight answer.

Firstly, Can I add a hyperlink to an IF function in a master document?
If a user selects or enters Y, i.e. IF(STRSAME(SHAPETEXT(TheText).,"Y") true equals a hyperlink, false does nothing.

The hyperlink will reference a document in a share point file

Secondly, If the hyperlink contain common fields with the master document, can I get it to auto fill?
(possibly using =SHAPETEXT(Pages[xxx]!Sheet.xxx!TheText) <--that's just an example of something I'm using in the document.

Looks like a bit of a challenge. If it can't be done, please let me know and I'll tell them to stop being lazy!

Cheers in advance.

Surrogate

Quote from: Crazy Squirrel on December 10, 2021, 11:45:39 PMCan I add a hyperlink to an IF function in a master document?
If a user selects or enters Y, i.e. IF(STRSAME(SHAPETEXT(TheText).,"Y") true equals a hyperlink, false does nothing.
Try this formula:
=IF(STRSAME(SHAPETEXT(TheText),"Y"),"https:\\visio.getbb.ru","")
It works for hyperlinks in web.
Quote from: Crazy Squirrel on December 10, 2021, 11:45:39 PMThe hyperlink will reference a document in a share point file
I haven't SharePoint, and can't check it.
Quote from: Crazy Squirrel on December 10, 2021, 11:45:39 PMIf the hyperlink contain common fields with the master document, can I get it to auto fill?
What you mean as common fields and auto fill ?

Crazy Squirrel

Thanks Surrogate.

Do I add the formula in User-defined cells?

I have two documents that are similar.  They both have Name, Address and Contact Details. If these shapes are filled in on the first document, can I get the same shapes on the second document to contain the same data when the hyperlink opens?

Surrogate

Hi, Crazy Squirrel!
Quote from: Crazy Squirrel on December 13, 2021, 12:50:14 PM
I have two documents that are similar.  They both have Name, Address and Contact Details. If these shapes are filled in on the first document, can I get the same shapes on the second document to contain the same data when the hyperlink opens?
Can you share example document ?

Crazy Squirrel

Hi Surrogate,

Please find the two templates attached.

Cheers

Surrogate

I found these fields in these shapes

Template 1Template 2
Customer Name
sheet.1013
sheet.1123
Full Address
sheet.1014
sheet.1124
Contact Details
sheet.1015
-

Surrogate

Quote from: Surrogate on December 13, 2021, 08:47:14 PM
Do you want get shape text in shape sheet.1013 (Template 1) and write same text into sheet.1123 (Template 2) ?
And so on for another shapes ?

Crazy Squirrel

Quote from: Surrogate on December 14, 2021, 11:43:03 AM
Quote from: Surrogate on December 13, 2021, 08:47:14 PM
Do you want get shape text in shape sheet.1013 (Template 1) and write same text into sheet.1123 (Template 2) ?
And so on for another shapes ?

Yes. I would have liked certain shapes with the same title to automatically fill the text in when the hyperlink opened, but template 1 will be different each time so don't think that's possible.  It's not hard to copy and paste!

Surrogate

Quote from: Crazy Squirrel on December 14, 2021, 07:48:20 PMwhen the hyperlink opened
Not hyperlink, but document! You can use event DocumentOpened

Crazy Squirrel

I'm intrigued.  Could you give me an example please?

wapperdude

If I'm understanding this correctly, seems like two major issues exist...
1) both files must be open for each to be aware of the other
2) this requires VBA:
       a) to search for actual file names
       b) to iterate thru each file and checking shape to shape correspondence.

If everything were done in a single Visio file, then that eliminates the first issue.  But, this still needs code to accommodate the arbitrary shape searching to check for common value correspondence.

This really seems like a database problem.  Thus, an alternative approach would be to create some sort of data structure in your share point.  Perhaps an Excel file.  Possibly, said file would have a worksheet for each Visio file, or maybe, an Excel file is created for each Visio file.  Either way, the Excel file would contain info for every shape in a Visio file.  Then, when a Visio file is opened, VBA, would check the Excel file and create the needed correspondence.  This eliminates the direct communication needed between Visio files.

Visio 2019 Pro