Visio Hell - p? Arranging, background color, and export to GIF or JPG

Started by virtualu2, May 14, 2009, 06:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

virtualu2

Hi,
I was decent with VISIO a while ago...Now I haven't done much and I am STUCK.

I want to setup a diagram for a frame relay network and first, I forget what the "right" objects are to use for some things, is there a reference anywhere on which clouds, link lines, objects, etc to use?  I know where to get stencils and stuff, but I haven't found the great ones some people have.  Anyone know?

Then I am doing this diagram for a frame network and then I have to export this as a GIF, BMP, or JPG to set as the background image on my server/network monitoring system, and then on each "object" of my diagram I put a dot that changes color if the system goes down. 
When I have tried to export to GIF the "objects - wmf, stencils" look "fuzzy".
What should I use to select for the export in terms of sources, etc to get a good picture?

I also can't find out how to auto arrange shapes so if I put our ISP in the middle and draw lines from that, how can I then connect everything but have it auto arrange in a circle or some other layout?

The font also looks messed up when I export it.

thx!!

wapperdude

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any existing index for such things.  It's a pain!

There are a variety of cloud shapes.  If you search for cloud from withing Visio, you'll get a list of what's on your system.  The Brainstorming setup might provide some interesting options.  On the menu bar, the Brainstorming icon button provides a variety of features that might be useful.

I don't normally export to GIF, you might want to try png, next choice would be emf. 

As far as arranging in a circle, not aware of that functionality.  However, if you go to File > Page Setup > Layout and Routing:
      1.)  Try changing style to center to center.
      2.)  then click "Spacing", you can set the minimum spacing between the shapes.

That might get you close.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro