which version of Visio are you using?

Started by miless2111s, May 11, 2021, 07:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miless2111s

This is a fairly unscientific survey however I am considering moving SummaryPro from OLE linking to using Data Links however these are only available on the Professional version so I would love to understand the split in the version that people use.

So just a quick question: What version of Visio are you using? (year and professional or standard)?

Many thanks

Miles

Surrogate

Hi, Miles !

This forum engine have opportunity create your own polls !

My answer: I am use Professional edition.

Nikolay

I have all versions (pro and standard), starting with 2003... :D But that's mostly because I need to reproduce bugs from time to time  :D
The best one was (IMHO) 2010 Professional, or maybe even 2003 Enterprise Architect.

Now basically just use the latest one though (subscription, "Visio Plan 2").
For the subscription, there is only "pro" option (~10 euro per month without VAT).
And the subscription model is where Microsoft is pushing us, probably.

Paul Herber

Visio 2007 Pro
Visio 2010 Premium
Visio 2016 Pro
I did have Visio 2003 Standard until just a few weeks ago but that system is no longer in use.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

miless2111s

Quote from: Surrogate on May 11, 2021, 09:46:56 AM
Hi, Miles !

This forum engine have opportunity create your own polls !

My answer: I am use Professional edition.
missed that, thank you I will set one up. :)

miless2111s

which version of Visio did data linking in all it's current glory come in (rather than the OLE linking)?
Thanks
Miles

Nikolay

AFAIK Data Linking as a separate feature (not an add-on) was first added in Visio 2007

OLE linking looks like something completely unrelated to Visio or diagrams.
Probably you actually mean something else here?

miless2111s

Quote from: Nikolay on May 11, 2021, 04:13:51 PM
AFAIK Data Linking as a separate feature (not an add-on) was first added in Visio 2007

OLE linking looks like something completely unrelated to Visio or diagrams.
Probably you actually mean something else here?
Nikolay, it is possible I have used the wrong terminology by calling it OLE linking - I was referring to the Database wizard type data linking which has been around since at least Visio 2003 when I first started to use it.  Happy to learn the right terminology though... :)

Nikolay

I did not mean to be mean. It was just a bit confusing.
The database functionality you are referring to is still there btw.

miless2111s

Quote from: Nikolay on May 11, 2021, 04:34:47 PM
I did not mean to be mean. It was just a bit confusing.
The database functionality you are referring to is still there btw.
Hey, no worries - I didn't take it to be mean :)  I am still using the database functionality every day however the Data Link does seem to have some advantages which I am interested in using however it doing to cuts a whole bunch of people away from using it then it isn't worth it.
What would you refer to the database linking method as?
Thanks
Miles

wapperdude

That's always a quandary, which version do you target?  Pro vs Standard, V2003 / V2007 or newer.  The newer versions have updated object models which general mean more efficient coding but also restrictive applicability.  As time progresses, the customer base using older versions dwindles...slowly.  I think the average Visio user tends to cling to their version, for better or worse, until some circumstance moves them to a newer version.  Sometimes, the new object model just enables you to do some things not possible with older versions.

Always a difficult decision.
Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

Quote from: miless2111s on May 12, 2021, 12:00:52 PM
I am still using the database functionality every day however the Data Link does seem to have some advantages which I am interested in using however it doing to cuts a whole bunch of people away from using it then it isn't worth it.
I would refer to it as "Linking Shapes to Database" or maybe "Database Wizard"... But without the "OLE" thing. Not sure if it's accurate enough though :D
Probably the only advantage of the new linking is its "simplicity" or sort of "transparency"... You won't need to explain what is "ODBC data source" and how you create one or connect to one.

miless2111s

Quote from: Nikolay on May 12, 2021, 07:49:37 PM
Quote from: miless2111s on May 12, 2021, 12:00:52 PM
I am still using the database functionality every day however the Data Link does seem to have some advantages which I am interested in using however it doing to cuts a whole bunch of people away from using it then it isn't worth it.
I would refer to it as "Linking Shapes to Database" or maybe "Database Wizard"... But without the "OLE" thing. Not sure if it's accurate enough though :D
Probably the only advantage of the new linking is its "simplicity" or sort of "transparency"... You won't need to explain what is "ODBC data source" and how you create one or connect to one.
Two advantages that I  can see (so far) are the ability to update the linked shapes without needing to close the excel first and more fields to export (so for instance it is easier to control the text properties from the Excel).  I suspect that fault finding might be easier to without the need to mess around with the "ODBC data source" if that stops working for what ever reason.

miless2111s

Quote from: wapperdude on May 12, 2021, 02:59:14 PM
That's always a quandary, which version do you target?  Pro vs Standard, V2003 / V2007 or newer.  The newer versions have updated object models which general mean more efficient coding but also restrictive applicability.  As time progresses, the customer base using older versions dwindles...slowly.  I think the average Visio user tends to cling to their version, for better or worse, until some circumstance moves them to a newer version.  Sometimes, the new object model just enables you to do some things not possible with older versions.

Always a difficult decision.
Indeed, what is interesting about the poll so far is the lack of non professional users however it is entirely possible this is because membership of the forum is heavily biased towards those that want to  do more with Visio so would naturally self select towards the Professional option.  I wonder if Microsoft have / would release the split in sales....

Jacob2021

I am using the Visio Plan 2 version which is provided through a subscription. I subscribed to this because of a tool called Data Visualizer which is supposed to link an Excel table and Visio flowchart together, however this is an extremely unfinished feature and I am currently seeking a refund. The tool is advertised on several Microsoft sites, but no where does it say the full functionality only comes with Visio Plan 2. It took me 3 different versions (2016 Pro, 2019 Pro and the Visio Plan 2) to realise this. Again, very poor work from Microsoft here.