Visio stopped saving as PDF properly -- any suggestions?

Started by P0NDER0SA, April 12, 2021, 10:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P0NDER0SA

Starting on April 11, 2021, my Visio stopped saving as PDF properly.  I'm running Visio Professional 2019 on my PC desktop.

Only a portion of the drawing saves as a PDF.  For instance, I have a diagram that is about 80-inches wide and 60-inches tall, but only one small corner of the diagram is saved as a PDF.  Another diagram is 36-inches wide and 24-inches tall, but the PDF that gets saves is only about 32-inches wide, cutting off the right 4 inches of the canvas.

I have also tried to "Export" and "Print to" (both Adobe PDF and Microsoft Print to PDF), but they either save a PDF that is also just a portion of the actual diagram, or is larger or smaller than the canvas, otherwise cuts off the canvas somehow, or the PDF ends up being multi-page with the diagram cut up into with many 8.5x11 pages.

I changed no settings and nothing else has changed -- as far as I know.  The PDFs saved properly until they didn't one time and now they won't.

I have used Visio almost daily for years (and this Pro 2019 version on my PC for one year) with no problems saving the diagram as a PDF.  I see there was an update to the program today (Apr 12, 2021), and am concerned that caused the problem.

Does anyone have a solution?

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Surrogate

Quote from: Surrogate on April 13, 2021, 09:53:47 PM
we can find same issues in Visio 2019
the problem is more complicated!
Quote from: SquirrelOverlord in thread Save/print as/Export Visio, PowerPoint and Excel documents no longer preserves links, hyperlinks or bookmarksMicrosoft pushed out a Windows 10 update last week and murderised Visio's, Excel's and PowerPoint's ability to be able to convert any documents with hyperlinks or bookmarks complete and working, but does show the formatting.

P0NDER0SA

Thank you!   Especially Surrogate!  It looks like this is a problem with the recent update!

P0NDER0SA

Paul Herber:

In my version of Visio (Pro 2019) , I see no way to save or export as PNG.

I have been able to save as a JPG, but instead of creating a JPG that is just the canvas area, it either 1) includes all of the extraneous items I have off the canvas (so the saved JPEG is much bigger), or 2) if I remove all items off the canvas, the saved JPG includes only items on the canvas, but crops the saved document so the dimensions are no longer correct.

I can manipulate the saved JPG and convert to PDF in another program.  This works just to share drafts.  But I'm afraid we could loose quality, and the sizing is not correct, so this will not work as a finished product.

I must save as high-res PDF with correct dimensions to share with my team and send to a printer.  So this is a big problem.

wapperdude

I have same version, do Save AS, then in the pop-up Window, expand the Save as type, to get a full list of additional file types available.  PNG is listed immediately after PDF.

If this is a single page, then some of the options on the list might be helpful. 
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

freefora11

I am having the same problem. When you ExportAsFixedFormat, it exports it at a huge scale for me.
This is happening on Visio 2016 and 2019 for my users.
Visio Pro 2016
C# VSTO Visio Addons

Nikolay

I guess somebody needs to raise this issue to Microsoft maybe, if they are not aware?

Surrogate

Quote from: Nikolay on April 15, 2021, 05:22:40 PM
I guess somebody needs to raise this issue to Microsoft maybe, if they are not aware?
I'm afraid they are not up to it. they threw all their strength on the cloud version
they threw all their strength on the cloud based version

Nikolay

Okay then, maybe cloud version works? I mean, have you tried to export it to PDF in the cloud version (Visio Online?).
Try uploading the file to OneDrive and then printing from there (or use "Download as PDF")

Surrogate

Quote from: Nikolay on April 15, 2021, 06:20:05 PM
Okay then, maybe cloud version works? I mean, have you tried to export it to PDF in the cloud version (Visio Online?).
there MS supportes write that it scenario can helps
Quote from: Dihao Guo MSFT in  post Save/print as/Export Visio, PowerPoint and Excel documents no longer preserves links, hyperlinks or bookmarksAdditionally, as SquirrelOverlord shared above, if you have access to Visio Online app, you can use Visio Online in browser to export file as PDF as a temporary workaround, which the PDF exported from Visio Online should preserves links. Sorry the for the inconvenience caused.
I haven't Visio Plan 1 and check it.

P0NDER0SA

Update as of 4/22/21:

I observe that an update today seems to have partially fix things.

But if the canvas has no background, the problem persists for me.

If I add a background to larger format jobs, the PDF now saves with proper margins.  So that may be a viable workaround until all the bugs are worked out.

--Nick