Updating TheText on subsequent pages

Started by jasonreed.577@gmail.com, March 24, 2021, 04:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonreed.577@gmail.com

Hi guys.  I am using Visio Plan 2 MSO (16.0.13127.21210) 32-bit to create a drawing with an imput form page that will autopopulate data to subsequent forms using the following custom formula.

=SHAPETEXT(Pages[Data]!Sheet.13!TheText)

In the prototype, it is working pretty well.  I have found that when I enter the data on the input form, not all of the objects on subsequent pages update.  When I check the custom formula, it appears correct and then when I click ok, it updates as I want it to (but this is manual).  I am trying to config/program such that all references on subsequent sheets update automatically when the user enters or changes data on the input form page.  Can ya'll help with a bit of guidance here?  Thank you in advance. 

wapperdude

Desk top version, seems to work, if I understand correctly.  What I did...
>  on page one created a shape and entered some text. 
> on page two created two shapes to try two differrent techniques...
    1) first shape,
            > added User Section, entered formula:  =SHAPETEXT(Pages[Page-1]!Sheet.1!TheText)
            > then, for the shape, Insert > field > User Defined and selected desired row
    2) second shape, directly used the Insert > Field > Custom Formula = =SHAPETEXT(Pages[Page-1]!Sheet.1!TheText)

Now, back to shape on page 1.  Select and type new text.  Works fine.  Both shapes on page 2 update immediately.

Other than that this was on a desktop PC, is your process different?
Visio 2019 Pro

jasonreed.577@gmail.com

Thanks for your response.  I used the 2nd method  you outlined. 

....second shape, directly used the Insert > Field > Custom Formula = =SHAPETEXT(Pages[Page-1]!Sheet.1!TheText)

What is a little different is that I primed the Sheet.1 object with "enter the name", to prompt the user to enter something.  This being the case, when I look at the subsequent pages, I will see the "enter the name" before the user enters any text.  I then change the "enter the name" to "John Smith", expecting the subsequent page to update but it does not.  I select the shape on the subsequent pag and then look at the custom formula which is correct and then click OK.  It updates...or if I rename the subsequent page it updates.   What is not happening is the immediate update. 

It  might be a quirk of the version that I am working with.  If there was a way to force a refresh of custom formulas when the object was updated, that would achieve what I am looking for. 

wapperdude

How are prompting the user?  To where / how is the User entered data directed?
Visio 2019 Pro

jasonreed.577@gmail.com

It is not a "programmatic" prompt to the user per se (its not a dialog box that pops up or anything like that).  The user selects a text box that has the text "enter the name" already entered and visible in the textbox.  That is how the user is "prompted" to enter the data.  The user then selects the text ("Enter the name") and then replaces it with the relevant information. 

wapperdude

OK!  That's the same procedure that I used on the test case.  I'm not at my computer, so I can't send actual file that I used.  Will do so later.  You can use it for testing.

Can you upload a simple file?  Only needs two pages, the first with your "data entry" shape and second page with "recipient" shape.  That will provide a means to verify that everything should be working and for someone with Plan 2 Visioto test.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro