Field calculations

Started by Paul Herber, March 23, 2021, 01:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Herber

and another ...
Insert a field into shape and do some calculations using width and height and the numbers are horrible ...
The field I've added is:
="width = "&Width&" Height = "&Height&" area = "&Width*Height

Width and Height should be 50mm.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

Hi Paul...
When I tried your custom formula, I didn't get the line feeds.  I had to use this:
"Width = "&Width&CHAR(10)&"Height = "&Height&CHAR(10)&"Area = "&Width*Height

This gave me both correct format (3 lines) and correct values.  However, there's a different method I normally use.  First, I enter three lines, normal text: 
Width =
Height =
Area =

Then, I go back, and at end of each line Field Insert the desired field.  I don't have to remember any of the ASCI hand-jive codes to get a working formula.
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

Hi Wayne, the line feeds are just where the text wraps, purely fortuitous.
I think it does work correctly in inch formatted shapes but not with mm.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

I don't work well with "mm" either.
Visio 2019 Pro

Thomas Winkel

Yeah, annoying. Visio calculates internally in inches. Rounding errors occur when processing in metric units. You can use  ShapeSheet formulas ROUND() or FORMAT() to cover this.
I think these days no software should use inches internally. Only for input and output, if required.
We had this problem by calculation xy positions. Barely to see on the shapes, but causing little steps on connections depending on zoom level.

wapperdude

While I agree there may be conversion errors due to rounding, an inevitable issue, I don't think it's necessarily the root of the issue here. 

In the example Visio file I provided in response, there are two shapes.  One shape uses technique Paul used, and the other uses technique I described.  I use, what's the term, Imperial ???, English.???, units throughout.  So, no conversion errors.  I also have snap to grid enabled with highest priority.  In the first shape, which shows much higher numeric resolution, the values are not what I would expect.  There are some internal errors.  Very, very small.  Not visible to the eye.  Could be graphic resolution, could be bit/numeric resolution, floating point, whatever.  But, if this is the root, best resolution, it implies that results from conversion process cannot be any better.  However, it does also state that the conversion ought to be as accurate, and still not visible.  The greatest issue is probably screen resolution vs zoom level as established by "pixel" limitations.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

...add info:
In the "Pauline" shape, it is possible by manually entering values, to define width and height more "precisely".  That is, initially the SnP displayed values are rounded versions based upon graphic placement. By manually entering, precision may be imparted to size and placements.  Although, the numeric results will appear visibly unchanged in the SnP Window entries.  But, if you look at the shape, itself, the entries are precisely shown, and the mathematics works out exactly.  This applies to the metric world also.

This seems to support that the error is more zoom/pixel related than a conversion error.  As Visio is numerically/mathematically limited by machine precision, I would think either 32 bit, and certainly 64 bit, machines (and Visio, by extension) are sufficiently precise.

Edit update
...and, Yes, Paul, entering values in SnP window will correct your "error". 

Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Not quite done...
A disadvantage of the custom formula approach presented, is the in the Field Text section that gets created, the formula is a single line entry.  This defeats the functionality of specifying the Fieldpicture(xxx) value.  Whereas, the somewhat more painful way that I show, creates a separate line entry for each field insert and preserves that functionality.  For the record, John Marshall tabulated what the various values do, and I present:

0 visFmtNumGenNoUnits
1 visFmtNumGenDefUnits
2 visFmt0PlNoUnits
3 visFmt0PlDefUnits
4 visFmt1PlNoUnits
5 visFmt1PlDefUnits
6 visFmt2PlNoUnits
7 visFmt2PlDefUnits
8 visFmt3PlNoUnits
9 visFmt3PlDefUnits
10 visFmtFeetAndInches
11 visFmtRadians