Error message "Cannot connect to the data source 'Excel files'

Started by miless2111s, March 21, 2021, 09:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miless2111s

I have made a Visio file which pulls information from Excel to control the colour / shape etc of the shapes using the database refresh method.  This works OK on my home and works machine but when my friend tries to use it we get an error "Cannot connect to the data source 'Excel files' with the ODBC Data Source error detail "ODBC Error: IM002 [Microsoft][ODBC data Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified."

What can we check on his machine to find out what the issue is and does anyone know how to fix this?

Many thanks

Miles

Surrogate

Which version of Visio do you use? And which installed at other computer?

miless2111s

I am using 2016 Professional and he is on Plan 2 MSO 64bit (Version 2102)
Many thanks
Miles

Surrogate

Do you have ODBC drivers at his computer?

I dont use ODBC connection since 2012, i use it when i used visio 2003. I couldnt setup ODBC connection in Visio 2013, because it is more difficult for me...

miless2111s

How do we check if he's got the ODBC drivers and if he doesn't have them what do we need to do to resolve this?
Many thanks
Miles

Surrogate

miless2111s

When I set up the system it was using the "Database wizard" and when I update the Visio Diagram I do using the "Update Database".  All accessed through the View / add on / Visio Extras menu

This method doesn't appear to setup the sorts of data connections that the site you kindly gave me the link to seem to set up - when I look on my machine there is nothing in the Data / External Data window.  So I am not sure that the links help or am I missing something silly?

When I select one of the linked shapes and click on view / add on / visio extras / link to ODBC source  I see the data which is present in the Excel sheet for that sheet

Many thanks

Miles

Nikolay

Just to be sure that you are aware that you are using a really "ancient" technology.
I mean, there is now much easier way to connect shapes to data, the functionality (extension) you are using is probably 25 years ago and hardly was ever updated.

If you are not sure how to link data to Visio shapes, please try googling (on YouTube for example) "Linking data to a Visio diagram".
Maybe it is the "Data" tab you want, not "Extras"?

Regarding the error message - it probably means literally what it says.
You don't have the data source you used to connect to the data on the new computer. You need to create it.

What is an ODBC data source? It is sort of a named record explaining where your data basically is. You can find registered data sources by typing "ODBC data source" in the "start" windows menu.
On your computer probably you created this data source somehow (or maybe the wizard did it for you), but on the new computer it does not seem to exist.

miless2111s

Nikolay
I guess that fits - I was working out how to do this 10-12 years ago and the technique has never let me down before and has always ensured backward compatibility no matter how old the office instance has been on the client sites I've been on.  I'll have to look to see what changes are needed throughout the system to take advantages of the more modern and better linking.

In terms of the current challenge I know that the data source is present on the other machine as I've check that it is there.  When the pair of files is brought back to my machine they both work and I know that they're linked as changes made in the Excel file show up in the Visio file after running the Database refresh.

Both my machine and my friend's machine have apparently the same entries in the ODBC data source dialogue in the User DSN tab.  Could this be something to do with his version of Visio?  I only ask as I've run this system on a great many client sites and different computers over the last 10 years or so and never run into this so I am stumped. :(

Many thanks for your help

Miles