Main Menu

Backgrounds

Started by Smeetin, March 11, 2021, 04:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smeetin

Hi there - I have been using Visio for a while now, but have run into a problems which for the life of me I cannot rectify.

When I create a flowchart, then add a background - it will automatically turn the background "white" - which is perfect as it allows me to establish headers/footers/logos etc. which I will like to be seen on Page 1 of my flowchart - but in the background which is perfect.

The issue I have is when I create a "two page" diagram, then add in a background it will only make "one" of the background pages white, as opposed to "both pages white" which means the second page is transparent making it difficult to navigate when using that second background page. (I hope that makes sense)

Any easy fixes?

Regards

Surrogate

Quote from: Smeetin on March 11, 2021, 04:13:04 AMThe issue I have is when I create a "two page" diagram
what is it two page diagram?

Paul Herber

Do you mean you are seeing the pages appear something like this?
Here the largest shape is on a background page.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

.... if this is small file, and non-proprietary, it might be quicker to upload your file.  One file is better than a lot of words.
Visio 2019 Pro

Smeetin

Here is an example of what I mean - the background has one page which is white, but the page with the heading at the top is "transparent" meaning you cant navigate around it to line things up...

Does that make sense?

Surrogate

IMHO I dont see there sense ! You can set A3 (portrait) size for this background page...

wapperdude

I updated your file, saved it as a template.  This is just a starting point for you.  Edit as needed.  Generally, the print page, drawing page, and backround pages are all the same size.  At least, that's a good starting point.  Plus, drawing page and background page are also the same orientation.  Printing page is variable depending upon how you want the hardcopy to appear.

First, I setup the file as indicated above.
Second, I added 2nd drawing page, as it looks like that's your desired goal in this example.
Third, the Process Title, because you want to dbl click and edit and relocate, must be on the drawing page.
Fourth, I edited PT shapesheet, to give a default location, centered, at top of page.  Some of the formulas will be clobbered if you move this shape to different location.
Fifth, I edited your "Grid" such that it is properly sized and centered on your background page.  Relocated the text entries to be placed at bottom, not top.
Oh, sixth, I changed scale of page 1, so that shapes fit nicely on the page without each one being altered.  Alternatively, leave page scale unchanged, and just select all shapes (not Process Title), and manually resize, re-center.
Visio 2019 Pro

Smeetin

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this....but I am not sure my question is understood - or maybe it is - but I still don't understand the answer.

Let me try again:

1. I create a Visio flowchart on ONE page
2. I add a Background page and create text (Or whatever I want) on the background page so it is seen on Page-1

Up to this point we are all good.

Here is the problem - when I make the Visio flowchart on Page-1 "larger" (e.g. I add in more shapes) - often this will create a second page below, or above, or left or right - but still part of "Page-1" which is fine - I get that.

The issue is - when I then click on the Background - it is still only ONE page, i.e. it has not added "more white background" pages to the Background page.

The confusing thing is - I have actually seen Visio do this, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do it. I have attached the question in a visual format to assist in explaining what I mean - hopefully that makes it a bit clearer?

Surrogate

You can use autofit pagesize for content only for foreground pages, not for background !

wapperdude

Ah.  Understood you were creating a new page, but really, it's Visio's doing.  If you go to Page Setup (right click on page tab), then select Page Size tab from pop-up menu, de-select "Let Visio expand the page as needed", and choose one of the other 2 options.  This will force the page size to be constant.  You can change the setting on a page by page basis, manually, if desired.

What Visio does, it expands the existing page if you add shapes that are outside its boundary. It's a most un-useful feature!  It doesn't expand the backgrounds.  It doesn't add a new page tab.  It's a bother.
Visio 2019 Pro

Smeetin

Thanks again - but not working for me at my end :(

I tried BOTH options but still didn't work :(

Surrogate

Quote from: Smeetin on March 16, 2021, 08:16:03 AM
Thanks again - but not working for me at my end :(
what you mean ? can you share gif or some screenshots

Thomas Winkel

Hi,

not sure if I got it.
But try attached VSD.

In the ShapeSheet of the background page I referred some cells to Page-1 cells, i.e:
=GUARD(Pages[Page-1]!ThePage!PageWidth)

Surrogate

Hi, Thomas !
I also have same idea, but this topic not in ShapeSheet board.

@Smeetin,
i dont understand why you use background pages in this case ?

Smeetin

Hi there :)

I use backgrounds like a "fixed footer or header" in Word. So if I am doing a flowchart and need a heading and footer/logo that "cannot" be disturbed when working on "Page-1" - the background is the perfect spot to place these.

That is the only reason I use a background.