Objects seem misaligned, but are actually aligned when printing

Started by victorh, February 25, 2021, 03:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

victorh

My first post on this forum, so apologies if it's in the wrong section.

When I make schematics, I use a lot of shapes that I created by combining rectangles. Each device in a schematic is just a collection of rectangles that are glued together. Even though each rectangle is perfectly aligned, on screen they seem to be misaligned. When I ungroup them, the X-position and width are exactly the same. And when I print, everything is fine and perfectly aligned.

So in the end it's no problem, but while working in Visio, it's a major annoyance, since I am forced to double check a lot when it looks bad. I have a feeling this was not always like this, but I have no clue what could have caused this behavior.
here's an example:

And here even stranger, 2 objects that are rendered differently, even though one is a copy of the other:

Does anybody have an idea where I can start looking?

Surrogate

victorh

It says Version 2101, build 13628.20448 Click-to-run
I think it's the office 365 version (I am using Microsoft Visio Plan 2)

Surrogate

It is well-known issue (check last message in that thread) ! As i know it started in Visio 2013.
You just have to accept !  ;D

Visisthebest

I ran in to a possibly related issue: in a grouped shape I used a line subshape (not a connector) and put connection points on the group shape exactly in the middle of the line.

Then I connect a connector with exactly the same width as the line, yet at various zoom levels the connector line and the subshape lines do not match up perfectly.

I agree very annoying this doesn't work perfectly, the solution was to also use a connector for the line in this instance. The connection points are still in the group shape.
Visio 2021 Professional

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Surrogate

Visisthebest

Visio 2021 Professional

wapperdude

V2019:  Seems there is some line wt vs zoom level that has impact.
At line wt >= 3 pt, seems fine.
At line wt < 3pt, then zoom =< 50%, the problem appears, except when you enter specific zoom levels, e.g., 48%

So, yes, unpredictable.
Visio 2019 Pro

victorh

Quote from: Surrogate on February 25, 2021, 04:24:40 PM
It is well-known issue (check last message in that thread) ! As i know it started in Visio 2013.
You just have to accept !  ;D

Still strange, I have a feeling that I didn't have this a few months ago (same visio version, maybe there was some update that caused this)

Paul Herber

Is it worth trying without graphics acceleration? This used to be a "thing" that caused problems like this.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

vojo

did you check the shapesheet of each shape?   Pinx and Piny for each shape = pinx and piny for other shape
go to at least 4 decimal points.

victorh

Quote from: Paul Herber on March 01, 2021, 04:46:58 PM
Is it worth trying without graphics acceleration? This used to be a "thing" that caused problems like this.
tried that, but no change.

Also checked the shapesheet, but that's all good.

A strange behavior that I also notice is, that sometimes I can fix it by ungrouping an abject and then grouping it again.