How to get Curve Connector perpendicular to shape geometry?

Started by kirkland, February 11, 2021, 06:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirkland

Hello! Apologies if this is in the wrong topic. I'm new to the forum and wasn't certain this was a shapes question. I'd be happy to repost somewhere else if this isn't the correct thread!

I'm doing some mind-mapping/flowchart planning using curved connectors and a variety of shapes. What I'd like is for the tangent at the connector ends(the "Bend Shape" lines) to remain perpendicular to the shape's geometry, at the connection point, at all times. Meaning automatically when the connector is first attached and constantly updating as the shape is moved around.

Lucidchart, another popular diagraming program, does what I'm trying to do. I've attached a gif image(click it to make it move!) demonstrating it. I would like to make Visio behave like this.

As is, Visio will always automatically snap the connector end's tangent to the vertical or horizonal axis. I've included a gif image demonstrating what I'm talking about. You can edit the tangent by moving the "Bend Shape" line, but that is tedious, inaccurate, and not automatic.

I'm new to Visio, but I've invested a lot of time reading through the Microsoft support pages. I've updated the "Glue to" setting to include "Shape geometry" allowing the connector to connect to the shape perimeter anywhere, but that's as far as I got.

I did quite a bit of research trying to find a solution. I couldn't find many people asking the same question, but I may be using the wrong keywords in my search. I did find one post asking this though: http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=2402.0

However, that post was made a decade ago and reached no clear solution. There seems to possibly be a workaround by programming. Though I was hoping in the decade since that was posted, Visio had implemented this feature like its competitors. Maybe in a setting I'm missing. I am open to a programming solution. I'm a computer engineer, but I wouldn't know the first thing about programming in Visio.

Click the gif images to make them move!

Visisthebest

Can't help you with this but hopefully Visio 2019 provides a solution for this! Quite a few experts on this forum.
Visio 2021 Professional

vojo

I think there are some shapesheet functions you can use for tangent, perpendicular, etc
they might help