Looking for followers

Started by JohnVisioMVP, February 03, 2021, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnVisioMVP

I have run Visio.MVPs.org for several decades, but though the site is still there, it and the other *.MVP.org sites are parked. They can not be updated. So, a few years back I started to resurrect it and got a new domain, https://johnvisiomvp.ca  and combined it with my blog.
Unfortunately, the stats show I do not get a lot of traffic.

My latest blog post  today is...
https://johnvisiomvp.ca/2021/02/03/stacking-shapes/

So, pass the word.
John...

Paul Herber

Certainly, John. I shall add your shiny new site to my online list of Visio websites. Job for this evening!
Good to see you here again.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

@PH:  my backyard seems to have a lot of spider websites with little to no traffic.  Might you be able to help?
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

Sad but true! Visio is no longer a topic that attracts a large audience

Visisthebest

John I really appreciate your new website, yes there is less attention for Visio currently but that could change as trends change.

I thought Basic was dead, then out of nowhere came this amazing Basic IDE development based on VS Code:
https://www.twinbasic.com/

These guys developed the vbWatchDog error handling solution:
https://www.everythingaccess.com/vbwatchdog.asp

From Excel/Access developers I hear this solution works so well and saves so much dev time they can't imagine doing VBA development without it!

Visio 2019 Professional with all its data graphics possibilities + VBA is still an unparalleled solution, but I think the training in how to use it needs a serious boost. People like what they know and feel competent in, all this starts with good step by step training to get them to an advanced user level. Ideally a training that provides people a meaningful certification after they complete it. I don't think the training needs to be free, but it does need to be actively promoted. A more expensive high quality training that is actively promoted (well-designed and well-targeted paid promotions via Linkedin etc) is infinitely better than a free training with no promotion investment.
Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

Quote from: Visisthebest on February 04, 2021, 09:41:26 AM
From Excel/Access developers I hear this solution works so well and saves so much dev time they can't imagine doing VBA development without it!
Few months ago MS add new feature LAMBDA functions for create create custom, reusable functions. Also now available PowerQuery and Script Lab
I mean that soon these developments will negate the need to use a wba in Excel
Quote from: Visisthebest on February 04, 2021, 09:41:26 AMVisio 2019 Professional with all its data graphics possibilities + VBA is still an unparalleled solution, but I think the training in how to use it needs a serious boost. People like what they know and feel competent in, all this starts with good step by step training to get them to an advanced user level. Ideally a training that provides people a meaningful certification after they complete it. I don't think the training needs to be free, but it does need to be actively promoted. A more expensive high quality training that is actively promoted (well-designed and well-targeted paid promotions via Linkedin etc) is infinitely better than a free training with no promotion investment.
You are right, but M$FT believe that the most part of users don't need complicated features. most need to sketch shapes on a page and connect them with arrows. They dream that everyone will do it online (using Visio Plan 1). Only 1% of users are interested in complicated things (like VBA or ShapeSheet).

Thomas Winkel

There are several Excel forums for any language in the world, with some 10 comments a day, each.
On the other hand there is only one active Visio forum in the world with ca. 10 comments a day...

I think most people are not aware about the power behind ShapeSheet, Data & Databinding.
You don't need a forum, if you only draw sketches and diagrams.
For me, Visio is the ideal platform to implement powerful drag & drop solutions with great usability in little time.
Especially in a team with Excel.

However, here in this forum we have enough expertise to solve almost any problem within hours :)
And 10 comments a day, 365 days a year for > 10 years gives a valuable archive.

hidden layer

QuoteOnly 1% of users are interested in complicated things (like VBA or ShapeSheet).

The same to Excel, PowerPoint etc.
:) :(
the other 99% we call check-box-engineers (Häkcheningenieure).

collegues wonder how quick some task can be done with a little bit automation and almost everything can be found in the web. And if not... just think about and make a plan. By the way: I did no training at all. But I'm not 25. That's why I do not call this 'programming'.

I personally use / know maybe 20% of Visio and 10% of Excel - because of no training.
If I would be younger I definetly would go for training. Especially in times of home-office.

cheers!

wapperdude

The greatest learning motivators are necessity, teaching, and passion.  The greatest inhibitors are laziness and ignorance.

Training is nice, but should not be an inhibitor... it just means more time investment. 

I'd be curious how many forum participants have had formal training with Visio, vba, Excel, and related areas.
Visio 2019 Pro

AndyW

Live life with an open mind

wapperdude

To add to John's reference, stacking, that is, edge-to-edge alignment, is an important, but missing feature from Visio.  See the following forum submission for an alternative approach:  http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=8870.0.  It is possible to have horizontal and diagonal directed alignments in addition to the vertical alignment.
Visio 2019 Pro

matherton

Quote from: Surrogate on February 04, 2021, 10:08:28 AM
Quote from: Visisthebest on February 04, 2021, 09:41:26 AM
Few months ago MS add new feature LAMBDA functions for create create custom, reusable functions. Also now available PowerQuery and Script Lab
I mean that soon these developments will negate the need to use a wba in Excel
Quote from: Visisthebest on February 04, 2021, 09:41:26 AMVisio 2019 Professional with all its data graphics possibilities + VBA is still an unparalleled solution, but I think the training in how to use it needs a serious boost. People like what they know and feel competent in, all this starts with good step by step training to get them to an advanced user level. Ideally a training that provides people a meaningful certification after they complete it. I don't think the training needs to be free, but it does need to be actively promoted. A more expensive high quality training that is actively promoted (well-designed and well-targeted paid promotions via Linkedin etc) is infinitely better than a free training with no promotion investment.
You are right, but M$FT believe that the most part of users don't need complicated features. most need to sketch shapes on a page and connect them with arrows. They dream that everyone will do it online (using Visio Plan 1). Only 1% of users are interested in complicated things (like VBA or ShapeSheet).

I've been watching for training like this, not easy to find.  Lots of basic training, but when I check them out, I find I'm above what they go over already.  I've only been using Visio since 2010, but am very much looking to step up my skills with this, I use it on every project over the last 10 years to set up wiring diagrams for our installers.  Any above basic training you've seen, please share!
Thanks,
Marty
Visio 2019@home, Visio 2016@work.  I build hospital and care home nurse call systems and integrate with other systems - phones, pagers, fire alarm, access control.  Designer/programmer/documenting.

Surrogate

Hi, Marty !
Quote from: matherton on August 19, 2021, 08:46:45 PMAny above basic training you've seen, please share!
What you mean as basic trainings ?