Setting the color of a shape based on excel data

Started by DC_Planner, May 11, 2009, 05:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC_Planner

Hello all,

New here and still doing searches to maybe find this somewhere.  Google was not helpful here.  But I decided to post to see if someone can help me get this moving.

I have a floor plan of a data center.  Lots of rectangles all on a layer showing cabinets. I need to be able to set the color of a shape based on a number in a excel spreadsheet.  It will be closed and most likely closed.  I do not mind a data import from a closed file as a step to keep the data refreshed as long as I can pull from the "live" data when I need to.

I would like this to be a separate layer which i can take care of duplicating the current shapes.  For the reason that I can turn it on or off depending who I am presenting to.  The number I am referring to can be anything from 0-35 and I would like it to be based on 4 colors.

Any help will be nice.

Thanks all

DCPro

aledlund

As a point to consider, link the shapes to the excel spreadsheet and then do a color by value. Requires v2007 pro...
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/HA100518191033.aspx
al

DC_Planner

OK I have been looking for these screen and I think it may be a version issue.  Here is the screen shot.  Can someone confirm if this is the PRO version or not.

Thanks for the sanity check....

aledlund

That's always given me a headache as well. I usually just check the menu (Data) to see if "Display Data On Shapes" is there and enabled.
al

DC_Planner

I do not have that menu selection.  So I am guessing that means I cannot link shapes to Excel Data, or I need to talk my boss into spending money for everyone to have this feature?

ERRR....

so is there any other way to do a conditional formatting of a cell?  I would even be willing to enter shape data if it will color the cell correctly.

aledlund

check "tools=>add-ons=>map and floor plans=>color by value" as one scenario the second would be to have different layers with different attributes and move the shapes between the layers.
al