Another Custom Line Pattern

Started by saratogacoach, January 16, 2021, 03:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratogacoach

Need to create a custom line made up of a few grouped shapes. The central element's (circle's) width needs to be locked when the group width is stretched, so that the central element does not distort.

I have tried protecting the central element's (circle's) width, other protection settings, with no success. When the group handles are grabbed and the group is stretched, the circle distorts.

I have tried different ways to build, join, group and protect the central element, but so far, nothing has worked to permit the line to stretch (width) without distorting the circle.

So far, the best option is importing an image (first image above), locking its aspect ratio. The circle does not distort, but the entire image, including circle inside, grows bigger when the image's grab handle is grabbed and widened. Any way to lock size and have it just widen without distorting the circle?

I am attaching a VSDX and hoping someone can suggest a way to solve this challenging problem.

Thank you for your kind help.
saratogacoach

vojo

since you are looking multiple types of middle symbol, I think best option is a family of shapes with connection points
(   |0|   ) and connect up lines to those connection points.   I don't think line pattern stretch or replicate will give you
what you want.

wapperdude

To lock the size/shape of the circle you need to open its shapesheet.  In the width / height cells enter literal values and enclose those values with guard function. 

Then, to keep the lines properly attached, glue the ends to the circle per Vojo's suggestion.  There are alternative methods, but require a bit more work.
Visio 2019 Pro

saratogacoach

OK, thank you. So far, using GUARD function, am able to prevent the circle from stretching when grouped with the lines.

Found an older posting from wapperdude to change behavior to 1D to get connector points working.

Progress! Starting to work. But probably some fixes still needed to get the line to connect and operate more smoothly.

Update: Placing it between 2 shapes (all shapes and line group changed to 1D), connecting both, then moving or stretching line, behaves correctly.

I am attaching an updated, latest test version VSDX file (latestTest2.vsdx). There are two different drawings included (top #1 may be better than bottom #2). Please suggest how they can be further fixed or improved.
saratogacoach