Diagram Connector Line problems

Started by saratogacoach, January 10, 2021, 04:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratogacoach

Hi,
I am new to Visio, learning how to use it. I am working on a basic zigzag line (VSDX file attached) and cannot get it to work. When dynamically stretched, the zigzag elements do not correctly stretch and resize. Cannot add connector points. Have been trying to change the line's shapesheet settings, but so far no matter what I try to change/fix, this does not fix the line.

I would much appreciate if someone can take a look at the attached VSDX file, let me know what I am doing wrong, how I can fix it so that the line can stretch/resize when grabbed at the handles, and also have connection points (both ends, and one in the center), so it can be used as a connector to attach to other shapes.

Thank you for your help.
saratogacoach

vojo

saratogacoach

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.  :)

OK, I used the link and guidelines and got a new repeating/tiling fill pattern that begins to look like what is needed.

I used a rectangle basic shape for this new fill pattern, stretches and scales OK. (see attached VSDX file)

Now, since this to be used as a connector line between 2 other shapes in the genogram/diagram, I need to add connector points to this line at both ends, get them to glue when matched with the other shapes' connector points. So far, even with adding new connector points, I have not succeeded. Can't get the new line/shape to connect with others.

Is there any setting (s) for getting new connector points onto this new patterned shape (at each end) to successfully connect with other shapes?

Thank you very much for your help.
saratogacoach

vojo

With fill pattern, all you are doing is defining the appearance of the line so the line pattern has nothing to do with connection points.

3 options

1) usually a line has connection points on the ends...if works for you, all you need to do is select the line pattern

2) add connection points in the shapesheet so you can put them wherever you want.
    I tend to use this option in order to have explicit control of the connection points.
    Note, there are 3 types of connection points...read up to pick the kind you want
    Also, look at the 9 modes if you want logic to show or hide them.

3) the UI has the ability for you to select where you want a connection point to be added to a shape.
    Never did much with this option.

saratogacoach

The rectangle with a custom fill pattern is really needed as a connector line, same pattern plus connector points at both ends. The connection is made dynamically between 2 other shapes. These may be moved around when the genogram/diagram is edited/updated, so I think that they cannot be fixed in the shapesheet.

If I use or add connector points on the rectangle/line, this doesn't seem to work. The connector must be flush against the 2 other shapes on either end,must also move dynamically and stay glued when the shapes are moved. The following illustrates my goal, but these shapes are not connected and will not move together:

Is it possible to create the same zigzag pattern as a line pattern for a connector line, instead of a fill pattern inside a rectangle? A connector line would probably have dynamic connection points already built in? I cannot seem to get the rectangle/line to correctly connect to the shapes to provide the correct look for the genogram (see above image).

I found this earlier forum posting (http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=5180.0) for custom line patterns but am not sure if the above zigzag fill pattern could be used somehow to create the custom line pattern in a connector line?
saratogacoach

Surrogate

I create my own line pattern, it works fine.

Note: You must draw line and make group from it!

saratogacoach

Hi Surrogate,

Thank you for your reply.

I am learning how to use Visio (have only had Visio for about 2 weeks  :) ), so still not even sure how to draw what you have displayed using the Visio drawing tools? So far, when I have tried drawing with the pen tools, I have not been able to draw straight lines. When I have grouped other lines together, the group has no connector points that work. Apologies. I am a beginner using Visio.

If you could provide a quick step-by-step instruction on how you created/drew the zigzag line and then grouped it so that it has connector points that work, this would be a big help. Please attach the VSDX for the drawing/grouping, if possible, so I can look at it in Visio. Again this would help me learn.

Thank you for your help.
saratogacoach

Surrogate

Quote from: saratogacoach on January 12, 2021, 12:27:45 PM
Please attach the VSDX for the drawing/grouping
Today i haven't enought time for answer for your question. Sorry !
Also i use Visio with Russian interface, my screenshots cann't help you.

But hope my attachment can help !

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/office-xp/aa200997(v=office.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

saratogacoach

Thank you!

I am able to look at the attached VSD file and see the straight line connector. Looks like the zigzag line drawing is done in the Draw window, grouped  then saved as a line pattern.

This solved creating a zigzag line! Connector points work for this example. Thank you.

Now also able to apply what I have learned about custom line pattern creation to other lines. Progress.

Thank you again for your kind help.
saratogacoach