Newbie question-adding connector to grouped lines

Started by saratogacoach, January 08, 2021, 12:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratogacoach

Learning Visio (Standard 2019, Windows 10 desktop), trying to create custom shapes and lines for a genogram type diagram. Square shape symbolizes male, circle shape symbolizes female, a range of connector lines used to symbolize relationships. For example, a close relationship is symbolized by 3 lines together (no arrowheads) connecting the square (male) and circle (female) shapes. Have not located a 3 line connector (the compound type has a thicker central line with a thinner line above and below; need the 3 lines to be equal thickness), so trying to create a custom 3-line connector without arrowheads, then save it to a stencil for re-use. Problem is that if I draw 3 equal thickness connector lines, then group them so they can moved as a unit, they no longer connect to the shapes. Tried adding connector points to the grouped lines (control + X connector point button). These display but don't work to connect the grouped lines to the connector points in the shapes. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or grouped lines (or shapes) cannot accept and utilize added (or any) connector points?

Any suggestions appreciated. If I can get connectors on these grouped lines that work, I can then use it as a model to create many more custom lines.

Best Wishes,

saratogacoach
saratogacoach

Paul Herber

Would you like to post what you have already and people can have a look for you? Add the stencil as an attachment.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

saratogacoach

Hi Paul,

OK, here is a 3-line stencil (.vssx) and its original source file (.vsdx) as an example of what I have been experimenting with. Can't get the connectors at each side of the grouped 3-line to connect using it between 2 shapes (square and circle) when I add the 3-line from the stencil to a new diagram.

Thank you for your kind suggestion and help.
saratogacoach

vojo

saratogacoach

Thank you for the 2 samples. I am just beginning to learn using Visio, so
(1) I am not sure how aaaalternativeconnector.vsdx was constructed? I ungrouped the 2 items, then tried to rebuild the same grouped connector again. While I could reproduce the positions, then group them together, the connector (yellow?) was gone. Adding a new (red?) connector didn't work to successfully connect with another shaped that I added. So, I think that I reproduced my problem again. If possible, could you share the steps taken for building the successfully working version that you attached. I suspect that the yellow connector may be a different type of connector (or container) than the one that I have been using?

Having read some more since posting, I have been learning about the Developer Tab (now enabled on my UI) and shapesheets. Maybe my group of 3 combined connector lines needs a different shapesheet setting so the connectors work? Visio's customization capability is excellent, but I need to find out how to better use it.  :)

(2) The aaamulticonnector.vsdx is a 4-line connector that I had seen in the Visio Extras>connectors location. Unfortunately, the genogram line-types are specific. There is a 2-line and 3-line, but no 4-line. So, is there any way to eliminate the fourth line from the 4-line, leaving it as a 3-line? Then regrouping, retaining the connectors?

Here is a link https://stanfield.pbworks.com/f/explaining_genograms.pdf to standard genogram lines and symbols, each of which would need to be capable of connecting to each other and created in a Visio stencil. Another more minimalist set of symbols and lines link: https://www.therapistaid.com/worksheets/genogram-symbols.pdf.

And a completed genogram sample image with symbol and line key:

At this point in my learning Visio, I am not yet sure that all of these connector lines and symbols can be created in Visio? If I can learn the basics of creating a few of these types, I can expand and adapt methods learned to create all of them, over time. (My background is social work, helping others, and also self-taught in amateur coding.)
saratogacoach

vojo

I am 99% sure aaaconnector is NOT part of standard connectors.  I have about 10-20 of these kinds of connectors. 
They are based on June the 2nd work.   I took his work and made a variety of connectors over last 20 years.
Control of the spacing of the individual connectors at start, middle, base, change from isometric to hybrid (better if connector is spanning large distances in the X dimension), June's base individual connector has a white background so its clear if connector transverses another connector (eaiser to read).  I have NOT fixed the arrow head orientations.

RE 2 or 3:   The settings for the group are critically important.  to make a 2 or 3, just set behavior to individual behind group.
                  select group then select the individual connector to remove and remove it.   BTW, you can add more individuals to
                  to group using behavior ==> add to group on drop and accept in group .   Again, settings like angle, width,
                  height, show box, etc are very important.

ungroup:    If you ungroup, you lose the control points and several reference points at group level that guide each individual.
                 so once you ungroup, you lose the intelligence (better to select individual in the group for say, different colors).

my suggestion would be to study group and individual shapes in real detail.  For example, the geometries of the individual connectors have different off set to hold spacing.  If you want other examples, let me know.

saratogacoach

Hi vojo,

Thank you for your helpful reply and suggestions.

I have tried and tried, reading carefully the guide link that you gave me, following all instructions to add the new repeating fill pattern. I inserted the section of line needed for the repeat as a BMP (attached). Tried several different settings in the Developer>Drawing Explorer>Draw>Fill Patterns for repeat (with and without scaling). No joy.

I am attaching the BMP of a single line section. If possible, can you add it to a new stencil, repeat tile it across, so when the line is grabbed by the end handle and made wider, it will repeat the pattern (as a zigzag line and scale) and attach your new VSSX file so I can see the settings?

I must still be doing something wrong.

Much thanks.

saratogacoach