Link and trace documents visio + sharepoint

Started by brukssnus, December 17, 2020, 07:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brukssnus

Hello everyone,
Im new here on the forum.

And I am also fairly new to visio and sharepoint but I have a need to create a quality system for my company.
Have looked around and ready-made solutions cost me far too much at this stage.

Is there anyone who can help me with what I need to be able to create a system for visio together with sharepoint?

Must be a flow chart with linked documents to the various processes in the company.
all documentation should be traceable and revisions should also be traceable.

A little about me
Beginner Visio
Worked for several years with Ironcad
Worked a lot with illustrator and photoshop
Runs an online shop for 3 years

Have worked last 2 years with sharepoint, no server / admin role but as user.

Do you think that this task is completely beyond my knowledge?

Surrogate

It is not possible in Visio "out-of-box" !
You can find 3rd-party solution, but it is very expensive!!! For example Enterprise Explorer.
Also you can create your own solution, but you need write your code for do it...

Nikolay

Can't you just store the documents in a SharePoint library with versioning enabled, then create a page with flowchart with hyperlinks to those documents?

I mean, any user can do that, it's a basic SharePoint usage scenario...
Do you have some specific requirements in mind - otherwise it's not clear what to develop here, you just do "save as", select the target library and that's it?

What do you mean by "tracing a document"?

cliff50

in my world.. "tracing a document" meant ->  the most recent version of a document was able to list all changes made to it .. by whom and when .
Text based documents are relatively easy to detect changes, However,  Graphic based documents are more challenging  .. "a picture is worth a thousand words"

From my experience , the following issues compound the problem -> , the rate of change required to keep a document accurate, locking a diagram for editing ( thus preventing access by other editors), and the number of people needing write access.

wapperdude

The reason outside solutions are expensive, document history can become quite complex.

Simple approach merely checks he date.  Each time edited, New version updated.  Then, does new version automatically update or is there user intervention?

More complex:  rather than just date, have a revision number.  Who made change?  What was changed.  How is that info stored/documented.  Can a document be open by multiple people each doing editing?  Can only certain people edit?  Does a change get approved before released?  What about security???

In a Visio doc alone, this can be complex.  Was a shape changed?  Was a page added.  Was a linked doc changed?  How do you update Visio file...whole new file, new stencils, new template?  Member Hey Ken has dealt with this.  Others too, but names fail me.

I believe there have been various levels of complexity shared on the forum.  Basically, it comes down to how robust do you want/need?  ...And that needs fairly clear description in order to implement.
Visio 2019 Pro

Hey Ken

Quote from: wapperdude on December 24, 2020, 03:54:04 PM
In a Visio doc alone, this can be complex.  Was a shape changed?  Was a page added.  Was a linked doc changed?  How do you update Visio file...whole new file, new stencils, new template?  Member Hey Ken has dealt with this.

In general, I keep all code in a stencil, and all pages in one Visio drawing.  If the code changes, send a new stencil, which can be made to automatically update drawings made with an older version of the stencil.  If the drawing changes, send a new drawing.  But I have no clever way of tracking changes beyond updating the version number and adding some text describing the change.  All fallback is done manually. 

Hope this helps, but I doubt it.  ;- )

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com