Using a connector that adds an arrow every time the connector changes direction

Started by Scotty81, October 23, 2020, 06:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty81

I'll admit I'm a casual, not hardcore Visio user.  But, I'm skilled in adding, connecting shapes for when I need that graphical flow.  I'm using a Crow's feet template to illustrate a database schema.  Although I can use the default connector just fine, what I would like to do is have the connector show an arrow every time the connector changes direction. 

Otherwise if you see lines that split (not cross over) each other, you don't know in which direction the line is going.  In the attachment, is the vertical line traveling north or south?  You can't tell without clicking on the connector to see that the connector is going from north to south and connected to the bottom red shape. 

Just adding an arrow at the END of the connector won't tell you which direction that vertical connector is going.  Am I missing something here or is that just not available?

Thanks,
Scotty81

vojo

simpliest approach is to add a short line to your red boxes and set their line ends to what you want.   the use a regular connector to connect the red box stubs with no line ends.

probably want to group the red box + line stubs with line ends you want.

Save group to a stencil if plan to use it often

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Quote from: Scotty81 on October 23, 2020, 06:52:30 PM
Just adding an arrow at the END of the connector won't tell you which direction that vertical connector is going.  Am I missing something here or is that just not available?

It actually does. You can add an arrow idependently on the beginning or the end of a connector. Direction matters.
Yacine

Scotty81

Thanks for the above replies.  Unfortunately, I don't quite see the solution.
@vojo: I can add a small stub with an arrow the shape I'm trying to connect to, but the issue that I think I have is that if I then try to connect a dynamic connector shape to it, there won't be any arrows midway in the middle of the dynamic connector where there are bends (i.e. right angle turns) in the shape. 

As a workaround, I attempted to add a small arrow exactly at the bend in the shape, and I was planning to group both the arrow and dynamic connector.  The unfortunate issue is that my dynamic connector keeps automatically rerouting on me.  I followed some advice (from a Google search), to have the dynamic connector NOT reroute when I lay the shape on top of it.   That works, but when I move one of the shapes, the dynamic connector moves, but NOT the little arrow, despite me grouping the arrow and the dynamic connector in the first place.  So, that's some frustrating behavior.

@wapperdude - Thanks for the link.  I do see that the user added an arrow onto a straight line.  I do like how you can "move the arrow" to wherever you want along the line.  But, what I'm is use that same idea on a dynamic connector that is allowed to have a left or right turn.  Do you know if there is a way to extend that idea to a dynamic connector which will automatically reroute when one moves the shape it is connected to? 

@Yacine - Thanks,  It's not really at the beginning or end of a connector where I want to add a shape.  It's at the point, somewhere in the "middle" where a dynamic connector takes a right or left turn.  I could always add 2 straight lines, and "manually" have them connect to each other at right angles and then group the shape.  But, that's getting more onerous than I want it to be since I have a complex schema, in which I might have to move various shapes to keep them looking good. 

So, not sure if there are other solutions out there, or if I'm missing something from one of the suggestions already provided. 

Thanks,
Scotty81

vojo

another option is create a line style to use with lines

line style = ------->>--------

usage = ------>>--------------->>--------------->>--------------->>----------

Scotty81

vojo, Wapperdude and Yacine,

Thanks for the posts.  I skimmed them and I need to read them more thoroughly to understand and implement them.  But, I think one of those solutions will work!  I'm glad to see that I was not the only one who wanted to use such functionality.  Too bad Microsoft hasn't taken this functionality mainstream and/or made it the default functionality when creating schema diagrams.