Connector behaviour shenanigans

Started by LordBug, October 20, 2020, 09:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordBug

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a hair pulling moment with how my connectors are routing on a shape that I've added custom points to.

As per the image below, the behaviour I want is the second pair of circles, where the lines are nice with no funny business.
But what I'm currently getting is the pair of circles to the left, where auto-routing takes the connections off on an adventure.

I'm hopelessly new at Visio, and my google-fu is failing me, but hopefully it's a stupidly easy answer.
If it helps, it's Visio 2019.

Paul Herber

Which connector(s) are you using? There is a stencil full of different connectors all with varying routing types.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

LordBug

Hi Paul,

I'm using the standard right-angle connector when joining the shapes, I've been adding the connection points with the tool (shift+ctrl+1) & ctrl+click to place, then saving the shapes to my own library.

I have worked out how to fix the behaviour by going into the shapesheet and changing the values in the DirX & DirY columns, though it is a bit of a fiddly process.

Was wondering if there's any trick to placing new connections points with the desired DirX & DirY values without having to delve into the shapesheet properties.

Thanks

vojo

I believe what you are really asking is "any guidance on placing connection points on 2D shapes so my cool connector that has DIR the way I want works best"

Answer.  On a 2D shape you can add a connection point where ever you want it (either thru GUI or shapesheet)
I am not sure what you needed to change on DIR but in cells C and D, you can specify the relation of DIR to the X and Y of the connector.   for example, you have a triangle and want connection points in the midpoint of each edge.  You can do
A) use the shapesheet to specify X and Y of connection point by something like X = (toppt.x + leftpt.x)/2   similar for Y
B) use the GUI to add connection point visually mid edge (though not very precise)

As far how to use the new connector, save this connector in a stencil.   Now, this new connector is available to for new drawing edits.   
1) drag new connector from stencil
2) drag the ends to the connector to connector points on the shape (2 triangles with new connection points