Creating Visio extension with .NET framework CORE

Started by Nikolay, September 25, 2020, 06:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

Nikolay do you notice a performance improvement with the .NET Core 5.0, I understand running more CPU resource-intensive code (that does not interact via the interop with Visio at that time, because that would be the bottleneck) can provide some nice performance improvements over .NET 4.x.
Visio 2021 Professional

Nikolay

Since it is a "Hello World" project basically, I don't think I would be able to notice any performance differences  ;D

Visisthebest

Ok I have a pretty heavy-calculation layout algorithm that I'll test on a 2000+ shape diagram (doing everything in-memory no back and forths over the Visio interop until the layout is calculated). I can run two threads in parallel in this algorithm so hopefully .NET 5.0 will give 10x the performance of VBA.
Visio 2021 Professional

Nikolay

I think now it's more of a research project actually, just to see if it's feasible at all.
It might be a bit premature to think about using this setup (.NET5 + Visio COM add-in) in production environment  :)

Visisthebest

Yes you're right but still interesting to try, I see some pretty good performance improvements in .NET Core!
Visio 2021 Professional