‘Visio 2021’ - what is the most important feature/functionality still missing?

Started by Visisthebest, September 24, 2020, 08:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

Read Microsoft news announcing a new version of Office perpetual licenses will be released in 2021!

I think this is very good news and assures us another regular perpetual 'Visio 2021' desktop license.

Are there significant new features expected for this release and what do you think is the most important feature/functionality that Microsoft needs to add to 'Visio 2021'?

As the web-based version of Visio is still far removed from the breadth of functionality of Visio desktop, I hope Microsoft will keep building on its strength which is their desktop Office software. They certainly do not stand out in the online diagramming market but Visio desktop is still a unique and amazing product!

Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

Visio 2016 have not many differences with 2013. Also Visio 2019 and Visio 2016. I dont wait a lot of new features in new perpetual version !
Because MS spend many efforts for web based edition.

nssc

Surrogate

Quote from: Surrogate on October 02, 2020, 09:28:45 AM
Quote from: David J Parker in post Visio now and beyond at Microsoft Ignite 2020It is interesting to note that there is no announcements for the Visio desktop app, apart from maybe the tantalising Visio Immersive that is annually pushed to the far right of the roadmap!
Quote from: nssc on October 06, 2020, 05:22:30 PM
The ability to set a default font!
you can set default font for template, not for all documents..

UPDATE MS have special portal where they collect users ideas and suggests. You can vote for this idea  - Enable the user to change the default font !
But since November'2013 only 24 persons vote for it  :o

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Visisthebest

I think the add-ins developed by Paul and Nikolay and others for Visio are a critical feature! Many users need additional functionality and the add-in market provides solutions otherwise not available, filling in Visio's functionality gaps.

Therefore moving Visio VSTO support into .NET 5 (based on .NET Core) is a key feature for the next Visio, but I fear they won't allow us to list this as a feature request, or will they?
Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

Quote from: Visisthebest on October 07, 2020, 09:35:32 AMMany users need additional functionality and the add-in market provides solutions otherwise not available, filling in Visio's functionality gaps.
I am not sure with it! For exampe this suggestion Online store suppot for Visio shapes, templates, add-ons, add-ins have about 20 voted peoples...

Nikolay

Quote from: Visisthebest on October 07, 2020, 09:35:32 AM
Therefore moving Visio VSTO support into .NET 5 (based on .NET Core) is a key feature for the next Visio, but I fear they won't allow us to list this as a feature request, or will they?

You can vote for this here:
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/idea/757925/please-port-visual-studio-tools-for-office-vsto-to.html

It's not only about Visio, it's about all office applications actually it seems.

nssc

Quote from: Paul Herber on October 06, 2020, 08:36:33 PM

Would you want to set just the font name or the size as well?

Both.

I saw a post by Yacine suggesting editing the "standard" style in Drawing Explorer, but I couldn't get it to work.

nssc

Quote from: Surrogate on October 06, 2020, 08:14:35 PM
Quote from: Surrogate on October 02, 2020, 09:28:45 AM
Quote from: David J Parker in post Visio now and beyond at Microsoft Ignite 2020It is interesting to note that there is no announcements for the Visio desktop app, apart from maybe the tantalising Visio Immersive that is annually pushed to the far right of the roadmap!
you can set default font for template, not for all documents..

UPDATE MS have special portal where they collect users ideas and suggests. You can vote for this idea  - Enable the user to change the default font !
But since November'2013 only 24 persons vote for it  :o

25 now!

David.P

To me, one of the features most missed in Visio is the world's easiest implementation of drawing and manipulation Bézier curves -- which has been available in Word and PowerPoint for decades already.

PowerPoint/Word (Bézier/Spline) Curve
Visio 2003 for production
Visio 2019

Machine

1) Definitely better text handling; no more TheText and Field being separated,
   and especially - read-only TheText makes no sense for me (ie. inaccessible via ShapeSheet).
2) Better Layer management, via side panel, not through the additional window.