How to fragment multi-shape object and preserve details

Started by Jennifer, September 08, 2020, 02:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

Quote from: Nikolay on April 15, 2021, 02:39:35 PM
Inkscape is basically a tool more suitable to designers IMHO.
I mean, you could use it create vector images (such as logo images, vector icons, vector drawings, etc), not business diagrams.

In other words (IMHO):

If you want to build business diagrams, such as org charts, flowcharts, business processes, floor plans, etc using ready-to-use smart shapes, then Visio is great.
If you want to build shapes/designs, such as logo images, generic pictures, paintings, art works, site designs, etc then probably Visio is a wrong tool.

Totally agree. When I needed to make flowcharts and a few floor plans, Visio is perfect. But I have also needed to do things that haven't worked wsell in Visio, so I am looking for another tool. Thanks.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on April 15, 2021, 03:15:06 PM
If you don't mind spending a little money, take a look at Affinity Designer.

I am absolutely happy to pay for quality. I do not want to pay steep prices such as for professional software like PhotoShop as I will never use more than 2-3% of its features. But I would be happy to pay at least $30-$50. It looks like Affinity Designer is about $40

My immediate need is to create a series of images showing a column (probably concrete) having forces applied to both sides with the forces on one side gradually overwhelming the one on the other side and the column cracking and then crumbling. The column will have a few words on it, which I want to have preserved in each of the fragments.

Here's what I started in Visio, but this is a s far as I got:

Is this something that Affinity Designer can do?

Thanks

wapperdude

I haven't actually used it.  I believe there's a free trial period, plus lots of video tutorials.

Curious...your Visio example looks fine, where's the problem?
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on April 15, 2021, 10:24:16 PM
Curious...your Visio example looks fine, where's the problem?

That's just the first 2 stages.
Stage 3: The block separates a bit at the crack and maybe more cracks appear.
Stage 4: The cracks widen,
Stage 5: The whole thing breaks into pieces on the ground.

...or something like that.   ;)

wapperdude

...and so, as the paradigm crumbles, you'd like the text to crumble... or at least have bits of text associated with the pieces.  A.D. can do a lot with text...I think even convert it to graphic (bit map???).  That might allow you to fracture the text.  That just a vague recollection, so, don't hold me to it.

Edit:  quick Google search yielded this:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJIMyIaa9pw.  Look seem to be exactly what you want!
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on April 16, 2021, 12:02:41 AM
...and so, as the paradigm crumbles, you'd like the text to crumble... or at least have bits of text associated with the pieces.  A.D. can do a lot with text...I think even convert it to graphic (bit map???).  That might allow you to fracture the text.  That just a vague recollection, so, don't hold me to it.

Edit:  quick Google search yielded this:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJIMyIaa9pw.  Look seem to be exactly what you want!

That look pretty good. I'm sold. And they have a fairly active user forum.

Thanks!

PS: I just checked several graphic design software reviews. Adobe products are always at the top, but I am not spending that kind of money and I do not like Adobe, the company. But Affinity Design (~$40) and InkSpace (free) are within the next few and get very good reviews. So thanks for the tip. Where do I send your beer?

wapperdude

Great.  Hope AD works out well.  As for the beer, well, just keep it refrigerated.  Which reminds me, what do you have when you place a hotdog in a German beer mug?      Wait for it..... Frank in stein.

Say "Good night, Gracie".
Cheers
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Well curiousity got the better of me.  This is doable within Visio.  But it is quite painful.

Back in 2009, JuneTheSecond did a Word Art development. It is quite an amazing development.  The resulting text is, indeed, shape objects.  That means, you can do something similar to what Affinity Design does, only not nearly as straight forward, nor as efficient.

The process is essentially (somewhat over-simplified) run the WordArt feature, copy the text onto the shape to be broken, then, thru a series of fragment, combine, union steps, and group, you eventually obtain the desired result.  See attached.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on April 16, 2021, 04:22:31 PM
Well curiousity got the better of me.  This is doable within Visio.  But it is quite painful.

Back in 2009, JuneTheSecond did a Word Art development. It is quite an amazing development.  The resulting text is, indeed, shape objects.  That means, you can do something similar to what Affinity Design does, only not nearly as straight forward, nor as efficient.

The process is essentially (somewhat over-simplified) run the WordArt feature, copy the text onto the shape to be broken, then, thru a series of fragment, combine, union steps, and group, you eventually obtain the desired result.  See attached.

Very nice. I am definitely going to have to try and spark your curiosity again in the future.  ;D  You are not a cat, I presume...  ::)

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on April 16, 2021, 08:08:26 PM
Well, I do like cats...

You do know what curiosity does to them, right? But then they have 9 lives!  8)

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro