Visio migration from XP... don't laugh please

Started by username, September 03, 2020, 10:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hidden layer

Hi guys,
I worked very successfully for the last 15 years with my heavy T60 and want to migrate to some more lightweight device. Anyhow - for the migration I need the product key for VISIO.
For office I found getmykeiysback2 (from Basti). I tried licensecrawler_setup.exe but XP says this ís not a valid 32-bit application.

I asked (a human!) at microsoft's support but they didn't respond with competece for now.

If somebody could help me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!
cheers!

vojo

Similar thing happened to me.

I ended up calling MS (yes actually talked to human)....he authorized the instance.

I think part of it was I was asking about authorizing visio 2003 around the 2010 time frame.
(in today's climate, I would probably get pushed for 365 or other vs MS enabling old copy...don't leave $$$ on the table  ;-)  ).

I will say, 365 visio plan 2 works well aside of the usual psychotic break Visio development team has regularly
( I love how they take a working function and introduce bugs...or....updates that change the GUI around in 365 because they are bored).

may want to check the monthly prices.

hidden layer

hi vojo

it's $5 monthly. No way!

ok, ok... every application has its bugs (as well they will not be fixed but 'buy the update and then it's fixed...' - y'know.

To get rid of Visio I would need some experience with browser solutions and how to manage the programming there. so kind of copy-visio-to-browser-thing ;) But as long Visio will work (or they'll let it work) I'll use it.

cheers!

vojo

365 is not a browser based.   Essentially visio would be on premise + connects to cloud for sharing et a.

Either way, good luck

Surrogate

Quote from: vojo on September 03, 2020, 01:15:20 PM
365 is not a browser based.   Essentially visio would be on premise + connects to cloud for sharing et a.
It named Visio Plan 2 (Visio Online Plan 2, Visio Pro for Office365).
But this edition cost 15$ per month !

hidden layer

O.k. I'm not interested to buy something... thanks!

...back to the topic,

meanwhile I got LicenceCrawler working. Both programs (LicenseCrawler and Getmykeysback) returned a product(?)key for the office suite but unfortunately they were different. For Visio there was no result at all.
If I open Regedit I can see two folders named Visio but I cannot see the full key but only the last 5 characters.

I'm a bit lost... some more ideas?

cheers
hl

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

hidden layer

how I installed Visio...

...2011 I worked in a factory they build aeroplanes and locomotives as well as a high-speed-train in China. While I was working there I got an offer from MS to buy the office suite and/or Visio for $15 each. I had no experience with visio at all but I knew that if I prepare a printout with exact dimensions it will be printed with exactly this dimensions. (for shortkeys on the telephone y'know).
I bought it online, downloaded it and installed it. It works until today (and tomorrow...) but the resolution (lifespan, battery etc) of the T60 is a bit outdated. Also some applications will not work with XP and my experience with MacOS is that if you bought a new mac you just connect it with the old one type a C and that's it. Not so for MS.
I lost the USB-device and all credentials for installation of Office and Visio.

That's it

The information I have about the program via File (Datei) -> Help is:

The product activated is: MS Visio Premium 2010
Version 14.0.7015.1000 (32-Bit) / SP2 MSO 14.0.7015.1000
Product ID 02286-XXX-XXXXXXX-31169

The support leads to a site in Canada (where the company's headquarter is)

Hope it helps

Cheers
hl

vojo

thought about ghosting the T60 drive to a USB?
Use that USB to bring up Visio on new system (D: drive)

Probably have to look at registry....hmm, the registry might have product key (clear text or encrypted), copy and paste including the registry entry name, type.   This might be tedious but maybe a search for "visio" in the registry.
(I would not copy whole registry...maybe append but not copy since you would overwrite unrelated keys)

Before you do all that, I would call MS and see if they would do what I did
(plead forgiveness and give you a 10 5ch key I got vs the standard 5 5ch key).

hidden layer

Hi vojo

o.k. I can try it. some recommandations for ghosting? just c&p will not copy everything...

At the registry I found two instances of Visio (see the screenshot). I'll have to copy both of them I guess. Probably the registry have a complete different structure...

Friday I'll buy the 'new' PC at nicepriceit - they have good staff there and maybe they know how to do.
Also I wait for the human's response at MS.
And I could also go to MS- 'store' Unter Den Linden to scrutinize them for the keys (with all the charm....).

cu

hl

hidden layer

Hi there,
so I tried: licencecrawler, GetMyKeysBack and Productkey (by Nirsoft).
All give the same product key for (...)several applications as they are
Microsoft Office Professional 2010
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 and(!)
Microsoft Office Visio 2010
and so on

The Keys are somehow the same.. hard to figure out what is what.

after checking https://www.microsoft.com/de-DE/software-download/office I got failure messages like
the entered product key seems to be.... after that I stopped.
(in german: Der von Ihnen eingegebene Produktschlüssel scheint für eine Software zu gelten, die durch ein Enterprise Agreement lizenziert ist. Optionen für die Softwarewiederherstellung erhalten Sie unter Home Use)
or
A failure occured...
(in german: Bei Ihrer Anforderung ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. Unterstützung erhalten Sie auf der Kontaktseite des Microsoft Support. Beziehen Sie sich auf den Nachrichtencode 715-XXXXX0 und die Transaktions-ID544adfe0-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-5ffb2f1be6f4.
wtf?

I'll give notice on further experience.

cheers
hl

hidden layer

Oh, it's quiet late for an update...here it is

After checking the serials with three or four different programs (to extract the keys) I choose those with the most matches.
That worked finally.

Phew!

cheers
hl