Containers that intersect shapes?

Started by jimibray, August 28, 2020, 12:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimibray

Hi,

Is it possible to have a container contain shapes that are larger than it? I'd like to have a small container that intersects some routed connections and lets me indicate their function or grouping without drawing a huge box around them.

My hope would be to then be able to report on my shapes by container and see wire group "power" contains W1, W3 and W8 as an example (I think I'll need a way to inherit the container name into my wire shapes that are contained by it).

Thanks,
James

Paul Herber

As far as I know shapes have to be fully within the container to be counted as part of that container. Doubt if there is a way of changing that.
However, you could try a container within a container. Make the outer one have no border and no text - have a play.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Visisthebest

jimibray a potential solution:

- you could add a shape to a container that has another shape glued to it. These shapes move around together as they are glued. The glued shape is not in the container so can stick out of the container.

Hope this helps!
Visio 2021 Professional

wapperdude

How about using Layers?  For example, create a Power layer, then add to desired connectors.
Visio 2019 Pro

jimibray

Thanks for the suggestions

I think it looks like using layers might be the best way as, after some playing with containers, I couldn't see in the shape sheet where the owning container was referenced and I'd want to be able to report which wires belong to which group.

Thanks.

jimibray

I can't see how to pull the Layer Name into a shape report? I can filter by a the layer objects are on but <Layer Name> doesn't appear in my list of properties to add as a column on my report.

Am I missing something? Do I need to create a prop.xx and pull the layer name into that field so I can get it in my report?

Thanks,
James