Shapesheet formula in format cell gets converted to string on save

Started by richard.x.moon@gsk.COM, July 28, 2020, 08:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard.x.moon@gsk.COM

I've linked a sharepoint list (with a  Tools column) to create a dynamic variable list in shape data properties. I've imported the external data into visio to expose the data in _VisDM_Tools

In the appropriate shape data Prop.Tools row, I add the =Prop._VisDM_Tools formula which works to provide the variable list in my shape data properties. It works when I've first  typed in the formula, but later the formula gets convereted to a string.
If I make copy of the shape, the formula is then quoted: "=Prop._VisDM_Tools", which is then a string literal and not a formula anymore.
If I create a new master shape of the original shape, and then create an instance in the diagram of the master, the formula is not quoted (and works initially) until I save and re-load the file, then it is quoted and any children I create of the master shape have the quoted version of the formula in the cell, and hence don't work. The variable list is simply the "=Prop.VisDM_Tools"

Not sure what I'm missing here. I tried GUARD and that doesn't prevent the cell getting quoted (including the GUARD call).

Any pointers on how to prevent this, or perhaps a hint about the "right" way to create lists for data shape properties from external data would be  much appreciated.

Richard

Surrogate

Quote from: richard.x.moon@gsk.COM on July 28, 2020, 08:21:45 PM
I've linked a sharepoint list (with a  Tools column) to create a dynamic variable list in shape data properties.
Which tools you mean ?

richard.x.moon@gsk.COM

It is just a list of text strings names of tools, like "Word", "Powerpoint", and not relevant to the problem. I want this list of string values to be the options for the variable list in the shape property

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

richard.x.moon@gsk.COM

I think I might have cracked it.

There is a Protection flag for "LockCustProp" when I set that, Visio no longer overwrites my formulas in custom property formula cells.

Still interested in other approaches to achieve a fixed or variable list imported from a file if you have any...