Visio Online editing limitation: Diagrams with more than 1000 shapes on a page

Started by Visisthebest, July 26, 2020, 07:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

It seems to be very easy to hit this limit, I assume also subshapes and lines are counted as 1 shape towards the limitation? (when grouping 2 subshapes does that count as 3, one group shape 2 subshapes?)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/why-can-t-i-open-a-diagram-for-editing-in-visio-for-the-web-ea4a23d3-21d3-4878-945e-cf1be4140357

Visio Desktop still far superior to online Visio!
Visio 2021 Professional

Paul Herber

If the shapes within a group are counted towards the 1000 then that is an awful limitation. I've created integrated circuit shapes that contain 300 or sub-shapes.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Surrogate

Quote from: Visisthebest on July 26, 2020, 07:41:55 PM
Visio Desktop still far superior to online Visio!
Visio desktop always better than Visio Plan1 (as web-based application).
Quote from: Paul Herber on July 26, 2020, 08:09:58 PMI've created integrated circuit shapes that contain 300 or sub-shapes.
Visio Plan 1 dont supported custom stencils and templates. Build-in stencils are very simple.
Quote from: Paul Herber on July 26, 2020, 08:09:58 PMIf the shapes within a group are counted towards the 1000 then that is an awful limitation.
In article about Add Visio Visuals to Power BI reports i found some tricks
Quote from: Improving the page load time and supporting complex diagramsThe number of shapes (over 1000) in your Visio diagrams and the complexity of those shapes (geometry, shading etc.) affect the loading time of Visio diagrams in Power BI. To improve the page load performance, remove any shapes you don't need from your Visio diagram or add them to a layer that begins with # symbol as detailed below. You can also set the themes applied to No Theme on the Design tab.

Add shapes requiring Power BI data mapping to # layers in large Visio files

Another effective way to improve page load time is to add shapes that need to be mapped to Power BI data to a layer named # or any layer starting with the character # in your large Visio file. If the diagram has a # layer, only shapes on the # layer can be mapped to Power BI data. The fewer shapes you have on the# layers, the better is the page load time.

You'll also see a couple of other benefits using the # layer approach:

Support for complex diagrams – If your diagram has more than 1000 shapes, it can be supported if shapes requiring mapping to Power BI data are moved to# layers and the total number of shapes on# layers is less than 1000.

Full fidelity viewing – Some gradients and line patterns wouldn't render in the Visio Visual as expected. If these shapes do not require mapping to Power BI data, they can be left out or removed from the# layers. Visio Visual renders everything other than the shapes on the # layers in PNG format helps improve load time.
May be this trick can works in Visio Plan 1 ?