Can't drag and drop

Started by Jennifer, July 23, 2020, 08:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I just upgraded to Visio 2019 Professional. I'm not at all sure this is a good thing.

When I first started using it, it seemed to work more or less like my previous version, 2007. Today, something has happened. All of the following worked for a couple of days. None do now.

• I can no longer drag guides from the rulers onto the page.
  • Guides that are already on the page cannot be duplicated (Ctrl+d), but they can be copied and pasted.
  • Guides can be dragged, but they do not actually move until I release the drag.
  • I cannot drag dimensioning shapes from the "Dimensioning - Engineering" shape list onto the page. If I try, I get a little pop-up window that says "Glue to Vertex". It disappears after a few seconds. A little yellow dot appears on the vertex (lower left corner of the sheet. If I hover over it, it says "Change Dimension Height". I am able to

Am I doing something wrong or did some setting get changed or is this software just buggy?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Jennifer

I just discovered another little treasure. Once I get a dimensioning shape onto the page, if I try to expand it by dragging one of the corners, I get a dotted line down to the vertex and that same pop-up about gluing it to the vertex.

What the #@%& is going on?

Jennifer

Now I can't even draw a straight line. And every sheet has a dotted line in the lower left corner.

I've attached the file.

Paul Herber

Are you sure that is the right attachment? I would have expected a Visio file, not Excel.

Your other problems sound very odd, not sure if they could come from a dodgy version of Visio though. At that price, it can't be legitimate. Probably an OEM/academic/bulk version. But even so, it would still be Visio, they can't edit the code in any way.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jennifer

Quote from: Paul Herber on July 24, 2020, 07:55:43 AM
Are you sure that is the right attachment? I would have expected a Visio file, not Excel.
Damn. The Alzheimer's is getting worse. Here's the right file (I hope).

QuoteYour other problems sound very odd, not sure if they could come from a dodgy version of Visio though. At that price, it can't be legitimate. Probably an OEM/academic/bulk version. But even so, it would still be Visio, they can't edit the code in any way.

Jennifer

I closed Visio last night. When I reopened it this morning, the problems had gone away. ???

I was able to draw lines and drag shapes onto the page. But there were 4-5 odd "shapes" stuck next to the vertex. I was able to delete them after several tries. I just checked and these are still in the file I uploaded. Look in the first page, "Levers".

I would be interested in knowing what these are and how to prevent this from happening again.

Paul Herber

You've got 20 Guide shapes on the page.
The shapes down in the bottom left corner are 7 shapes called Horizontal and a grouped shape called Vertical baseline. The 7 shapes are all overlayed at the same location so maybe it seems that deleting just one of them appears to do nothing when there are several more in the same location.
Use the Drawing Explorer window to see what you have on your pages. (ribbon Developer -> Drawing Explorer)
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Croc

If you look at the second page, you can see that some guides are part of the groups. This is bad practice. As far as I remember, when ungrouping such groups, you can observe unusual behavior of the shapes. They can "run away" after the guides. Perhaps something similar happened on the first page.
In addition, these guides are usually invisible. They can only be seen during selection (in the Drawing Explorer window).
In my opinion, you should avoid grouping shapes together with guides.

Jennifer

Quote from: Paul Herber on July 24, 2020, 01:07:51 PM
You've got 20 Guide shapes on the page.
The shapes down in the bottom left corner are 7 shapes called Horizontal and a grouped shape called Vertical baseline. The 7 shapes are all overlayed at the same location so maybe it seems that deleting just one of them appears to do nothing when there are several more in the same location.
I have no idea how any of that happened. It certainly was not intentional.

Use the Drawing Explorer window to see what you have on your pages. (ribbon Developer -> Drawing Explorer)
[/quote]
Thanks

Jennifer

Quote from: Croc on July 24, 2020, 01:36:50 PM
If you look at the second page, you can see that some guides are part of the groups. This is bad practice. As far as I remember, when ungrouping such groups, you can observe unusual behavior of the shapes. They can "run away" after the guides. Perhaps something similar happened on the first page.
In addition, these guides are usually invisible. They can only be seen during selection (in the Drawing Explorer window).
In my opinion, you should avoid grouping shapes together with guides.
I did not intentionally group any guides. I don't know how that happened.

Croc

QuoteI did not intentionally group any guides
Disable this option.

Jennifer

Quote from: Croc on July 24, 2020, 03:10:10 PM
QuoteI did not intentionally group any guides
Disable this option.
That option was already disabled (not checked).