Storing Image Path with Shape

Started by iRacer, April 19, 2020, 03:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iRacer

Good morning, as the title suggests I'm pretty new to Visio and have a few questions. My company has picked up a new controls line that uses Visio for graphics editing. I have a vast collection of .PNG images and shapes that I have used over the years in my other graphics packages that I would like to convert to stencils. I've watched a few videos on how to create a custom stencil and have got that down for the most part. My question is, how can I import my images and keep the original file names (such as LgDuct90Down)? Or will I have to take the time and rename each and every one individually from Master to whatever? Thanks in advance.

Surrogate

Few years ago i did find 3rd-party tool named png2vss!

Now i cant find it because developer's site not exist!
You can find it in another sites, i am not sure that download there software is safety.  :-\

vojo

Can I assume all that you are talking about is saving a bunch pngs into a stencil where each png can have its own name.
Pretty straight forward
- create a stencil ...maybe <my fabulous pngs>
- edit that stencil
- bring a given PNG into a drawing (copy from source... paste into visio drawing page)
- drag the png from drawing page to that stencil
- right click png in stencll ==> master properties ==<pick your png name e.g "this is my most fabulous png">
- repeat as needed
- save stencil

Paul Herber

I have a utility that might help you with this ...

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/visio-utilities3/

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

iRacer

Quote from: vojo on April 19, 2020, 09:00:15 PM
Can I assume all that you are talking about is saving a bunch pngs into a stencil where each png can have its own name.
Pretty straight forward
- create a stencil ...maybe <my fabulous pngs>
- edit that stencil
- bring a given PNG into a drawing (copy from source... paste into visio drawing page)
- drag the png from drawing page to that stencil
- right click png in stencll ==> master properties ==<pick your png name e.g "this is my most fabulous png">
- repeat as needed
- save stencil

Thanks, but this is what I am trying to streamline. I've got literally 1000's of parts and pieces as .png's in my library, several 100 I use on the regular. I couldn't begin to imagine how long it would take to convert em all one by one.

Visio Guy

I have a utility that helps you scale images for tracing or for floorplan backgrounds (not for sale...yet).

When you import an image with this tool, I automatically stuff the date and filepath of the image into the image-shape as Shape Data. If you are fluent with Shape Data fields, this might be a good technique to use:

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010