How to Change Default Shape

Started by cira_s, March 05, 2020, 03:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cira_s

Hello,

I am new to Visio.  I have an large org chart that I would like to import from Excel into Visio 2016.  When I import the org chart the shapes are automatically defaulted to the Belt shapes.  I tried to create a new stencil and close the Belt shapes, then import the Excel sheet, but it still defaulted to the Belt shapes. Is there a way to change the Belt shapes default? 

I have watched several YouTube videos but have not found one that addresses this issue.  Thank you in advance.

Nikolay

I believe David Parker has the best articles on creating custom OrgChart shapes. You can start here for example:

https://bvisual.net/2012/05/08/creating-a-custom-org-chart-template-with-extra-properties/

Please note that you are on a "gray" territory anyways, as OrgChart solution shapes were not designed to be customizable by users.

There is another well-known problem with OrgChart you may be hit - the sorting is random, so every time you generate a diagram using the wizard, you'll get a different layout
I have seen a solution to that though (a macro to sort items)

cira_s

Thanks for the reply.  I checked out the link.  Visio seems like a great tool and I was so excited about using it, but I keep finding so many glitchy things about it.  I can't even create a duplicate tab or copy and paste the chart without it getting all mixed up on the new tab. A little disappointed.

Nikolay

Regarding the copy-paste - instead of selecting all shapes, there is "Duplicate Page" command (on the page tab), that should do the trick.

cira_s

I tried that too.  It doesn't work either way.  :o  The connector lines disappear or the lines connect to the wrong people.