Changes to master shape not reflected in copies

Started by Jennifer, March 01, 2020, 06:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I defined a square shape with a red fill and a black border. I then made it into a master shape and made several dozen copies on a page. Then I decided to change the fill color to blue, so I edited the master shape and made that change. When I saved it, the copies did not change. They were still red.

What did I do wrong?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Did you edit the master on the document stencil?
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on March 01, 2020, 02:03:53 PM
Did you edit the master on the document stencil?

Yes, at least I think so. Here's what I did:

• I copied the master to the page.
  • I right-clicked the master and selected "Edit master" and then "Edit master shape". That gave me a new window containing the master shape.
  • I changed the border from yellow to blue. It showed as blue on the screen.
  • I closed that window and was asked if I wanted to update it. I clicked on "Yes". In the stencil dialog, the master shape now shows the new border, but the copies on the page do not.
  • I copied the master to the sheet again. It shows the new colors.
  • I repeated this several times with the same results.

???
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

vojo

you have to open the document stencil to edit all instances in this given document
all you did was to edit the one instance (and created a new second update instance in document stenci).

Alternatively, in the stencil, edit the master there (it will open a new window)...when done save
now, this new master is available for use in all future drawings (old drawings will have old master in doc stencil so it wont change them).