Visio P&ID datatransfer shapes table question

Started by Paul.V, February 13, 2020, 06:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul.V

Hello All,

Got a question. Also posted a screenshot.

Am just started shortly to experimate to discover the benefits of Visio
When I am making a P&ID with the outlay and shapes from process instrumentation am having have the possibility to bring in a datatable shape (blue,yellow in the picture)  from the stencil .
Can be a instrumentationtable, pipelinetable, equipmenttable and so on.

Everything what you draw with shapes you can put data in it. Grey box in the picture.
All data will be visible in the pipeline table. (some kind of excel file).
Searching for the turnaround
Is there a way to after drawing something you put the all data first in the pipelinetable so that the data will be copied to the drawing shape data?

after trying many options cant find the tree in the forest anymore.

With regards,
My apologie if there are any gramar faults
Paul

Yacine

Hi Paul,
that blue yellow table is a one-way report. It goes only from the shapes to the report.

If you want to modify the data in a table to reinject into the shapes, there are different possibilities:
- instead of creating a visio report, you can opt to export to excel, edit the data in excel itself, then use data connection functions to use that external data source to re-import the data (requires visio pro, nut sure about 365)
- instead of exporting the data first, you may build your data externally in excel (or access) then continue with the data connection as described above
- beside a dumb a table, you can build a whole application with access to interact with visio
- You can even use python to interact with visio
- ... several more ways.

I hope, I did not frighten you too much. The first possibility will certainly be the easiest one.

;-)
Y.
Yacine

Paul.V

Hello Yacine,
many thanks for replying.

That clarify much that it is a one-way report. so I will stop trying it.

I will go for the first option to work on. seems indeed for my simple brain the best and optimal solution. ;D

Just checked, visio pro is installed.

In short:
when I double click on the report I come in excel datasheet.
That one I can adjust.
Then I need to re-import the datasource excel file with the data connections functions.

Will try it out,

Regards,
Paul

Paul.V

Yes it works,

managed to export and import back in with adjustments.

Am now working on a template in excel with the specs that I wanted so that I only have to import the file and connect.
Believe it is option 2 you mentioned.

Will update later and ask questions if i need some finetuning.

With regards,
Paul