Force dynamic connectors on top and bottom of 2D shapes

Started by MatLcq, January 29, 2020, 11:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatLcq

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a way to force a dynamic connector between two 2D shapes to glue only to the top and the bottom connection point of the shape, no matter how those shapes are moved afterwards. I know that I can achieve this by using static connectors (directly connecting the top and bottom connection points), but people who are using my stencils don't know that.

I've read an interesting article/blog once about controlling that behavior at a shapesheet level, but I can't find this article anymore (spend half-an-hour googling it).
Maybe someone knows about it?

Does anyone have an idea on how to achieve that with dynamic connectors?
Thank you

vojo

if you put connection points exactly where you want them, then use a connector to attach to these points, you can then
move shapes around and the actual connection points relative to the respective shapes stays locked
(the point stays the same....the connector line moves with the shapes...stretch, shrink, etc).

you may need some connector to connector or a connector with an elbow to do any sort of shape offset

This is the what I do (created a family of connectors for various orientation that adjust with the shapes...base on June's work)

wapperdude

The problem is the dynamic gluing is set to allow walking.  This can be disabled in the shapesheet.  This change is applied to the connector.  It is not global.  You can change one connector and then either save it to a stencil or merely duplicate it.

Select a connector and open shapesheet.  Go to Glue Info. In this section, set GlueType to either 4 or 8.  I only tried "4", but "8" should work as well.
Close shapesheet. 

You will also have to either add connection points to your shape for gluing to occur.  Or, you change the gluing behavior to include shape geometry.  This will allow the connectors to glue to any side, but, the connector will not walk from its attach point when the shape is moved.

Visio 2019 Pro

MatLcq

Okay, that's it. I thought it was at the shape level but indeed it's at the connector level. Thank you Wapperdude.
Thank also vojo. I had already specific connection points to my shapes but somehow the dynamic connectors are "finding" other connection points. I will look into your stencil to see how you do it.

vojo

FWIW, there use to be a cell in the shape sheet that effectively turned connection points on or off.
I think it disappeared around 2010.  I think it was in the section that had handles on and off and dynamic feedback