Connector will not go to the edge of a shape

Started by mathewbray, December 22, 2019, 07:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mathewbray

Hello everyone!  I have a puzzle for you. :)

I've burned some hours ungrouping, regrouping, and changing group properties (IsSnapTarget/SelectMode) and cannot figure this one out.  I'm at the point where I might just rebuild from scratch. :(

I've attached a working shape and non-working.  If this is something simple to fix, i'm taking a vacation. ;)

Paul Herber

First, never ungroup, it will break a shape.
Look at the Snap and Glue settings.

View -> Visual Aids -> click the little arrow
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

vojo

both work fine for me (connections at edge of shape).

might want to check developer ==><2nd from left lower right corner>
or                           developer ==> drawing aids <lower right corner>

turn on developer:   file==> options ==> <bottom of the page>

mathewbray

Croc,
Wow how did you figure that out? That's impressive!  Does this mean Visio cant handle a shape this complicated? The shape behind it is the exact same shape, but once it's duplicated it seems to break it.  Interesting.  I'll have to figure something out to make it simpler but not lose detail/functionality.  Thanks!

vojo

too complicated....nah...I have done and seen much more complicated shapes from many drawings...I doubt its that.
perhaps the big difference is shape on left has explicit connection points...shape on the right doesn't
(I tend to use explicit connection points...maybe that is the difference)

Shape attached is a group with probably 15 children...explicit connection points work fine ...FWIW
Shape data controls this shape...selecting child can set color

Croc

In this case, the complexity is determined not by the number of shapes, but by the complexity of the geometry.
In my experiment, which is shown in an animated GIF, I replaced one shape with a picture. Geometry became simpler and the connector began to work normally.
It was a pretty rude experiment. You can gradually simplify the geometry and find the moment when the connector is fixed. This will be more accurate evidence.
By the way, the behavior of Visio may differ on different computers, so we can see different manifestations of the malfunction. I consider it a malfunction that the dynamic connector does not hide under the shape when connected to the center of the shape. I am struggling precisely with this malfunction.

Croc

I did a more accurate experiment. Here such a shape works fine for me. Visio 2013. I needed to remove 4 arrows. The geometry section now contains 27 rows instead of 50.

vojo

Croc

- wellm that cube with a hole has a lot of rows...across all the children, probably 100 rows at least (200 more likely)
  Start with shape date to unlock to open shapesheets
- again, I use explicit connection points
- visio 2013

Arrows can be messy
- usually have connection points on the tips (visio 2003 had ways to disable connection points on children)
  (it appears that "switch" has been removed in 2013)...might try col C and D on the connection points or "lock theme connectors" to see if that makes a difference.   Group first vs children first might help
- visio selection/connection resolution improves as you zoom in  (there have been times I had to go to 1600X to pick the point)
- Developer mode has settings for resolution, locality, etc.
- of course, you can edit the children and delete the connection points

Croc

Vojo,
I did not understand your last message. (I have some problems with English).
Do you think my evidence is wrong and advise me to look for other causes of the malfunction in mathewbray's shape?

vojo

just saying

1) I don't think its the number of rows in the geometries or the number child shapes is the issue
2) Arrows usually come with connection points is the issue
     - as you zoom in on a drawing, visio will restrict the area for finding connections.   for example 1600X will not pick up arrow
3) pointing out several areas where settings can influence the behavior
     - Glue and Snap settings  (google that term)
     - connector cells (to disable connectors on arrows)
     - Maybe lock settings

wapperdude

Haven't discovered the root cause yet.  But, what seems to solve the problem is merely ungrouping and regrouping.  Of course, that's not a great solution.  After that, duplicating works too. 

It doesn't seem to be a complexity issue per se.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Found a better work-around.  Drag the misbehaving shape to a stencil...I put it on a new stencil.  Now drap and drop from the stencil.  Behaves correctly.  You can duplicate the shape once it's dropped.
Visio 2019 Pro

Croc

QuoteI don't think its the number of rows in the geometries or the number child shapes is the issue
In vain. This is very easy to prove.
Make such an experiment
1. Make an array of shapes 20x20
2. Copy it two times.
3. Delete half of the second copy. There are two arrays for 400 and 200 shapes.
4. Group each array.
5. In each group, turn off "Snap to member shapes" and set to "Selection: Group only"
6. Add Connector and enable "Straight connector" mode
7. Check dynamic connection.
You will see that the connector is mistaken when connected to a group of 400 shapes and works fine when connected to a group of 200 shapes.
In this regard, I insist on the statement that the "complexity of the shape can cause an error in the behavior of the connector".