Desktop shortcut to specific page in Visio file

Started by MSEJames, December 20, 2019, 03:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSEJames

Is there a way to place a shortcut on a user's desktop that will always open to a specific page in Visio? We have a file with 20+ pages and multiple users. Each user needs to access their specific page within the file. Unfortunately, they all close the file with their page active, so the next user opens to that point, not the one they want. Suggestions?
Oh, I forgot to mention that the file is stored on a One Drive in the cloud.
Thanks,
MSEJames

vojo

just create a short cut of the drawing file

visio will always open on the page that you closed the drawing on

Paul Herber

Quote from: vojo on December 21, 2019, 07:04:41 AM
just create a short cut of the drawing file

visio will always open on the page that you closed the drawing on

But that is exactly what is NOT wanted.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

vojo

since you have to open visio to open a visio page....not sure what he wants

i.e. shortcut on desktop for the specific file will launch visio (file type) in order to open the page.

Is this something like a menu of pages to pick from BEFORE opening the file?
(believe it or not, I have ran into 20 year vision users who didn't know you could added pages to a drawing file..so I guess you do that as well....1 page per file, pick the right file).

What makes his request so unique?

wapperdude

What makes this unique is that he wants to open specified page.  That is, the command line to launch Visio would contain a page option so that the user can specify which page to open.

Ah.  I believe the term I was looking for is "switch"???

All I can think of is launching Visio, and then with, perhaps doc open event, somehow read the page value and let Visio make that the active page.

Visio 2019 Pro

cliff50

I am thinking in VBA  doc.open event triggers a routine to identify the users PC identification. thereafter you could assign a PC id with a particular goto page.

re: the following code , you may have to check some references

Declare PtrSafe Function GetUserNameA Lib "advapi32.dll" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long
Declare PtrSafe Function GetComputerNameA Lib "kernel32" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long

Public Function GetComputerName()
    Dim str As String
    str = String(256, Chr$(0))

GetComputerNameA str, 255
    str = Left(str, InStr(str, Chr$(0)) - 1)

Debug.Print str '<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<I think this str value will be unique to each computer

End Function

Bork

A less elegant solution would be to build a table of contents (TOC) with a link to each page and a link on each page back to the TOC.  Then as long as your users remember to return to the TOC before closing the file, the next user only needs one click to reach their page; if not, it takes two clicks.  An added benefit is if you export the file to a PDF file for users to view outside of Visio, the links are included.  FYI, for the link back to the TOC I use a baseball home plate shape with the letters TOC inside.  Also, if i remember right, you can link to a particular shape on a page if that helps your users.

Hey Ken

James:

Here's a thought: Give each user their own empty Visio file.  In each one, add the following VBA to the file's ThisDocument module:

Private Sub Document_DocumentOpened(ByVal doc As IVDocument)
ActiveDocument.FollowHyperlink "path\file", "pagename"
End Sub

Just replace "path\file" with the path and file name of your common Visio file in the cloud, and "pagename" with this user's preferred start page name.  You'll create one blank Visio file per user, each one referencing that user's preferred start page.  When they open the blank Visio, it automatically jumps to your common cloud file. 

To make your maintenance easier, you can keep the collection of empty Visio files in the cloud alongside your shared file, and give each user a shortcut to their preferred one.  Up to you how you'd like to package it.

Hope this helps,

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com