How to show a partial diagram?

Started by Jennifer, December 14, 2019, 12:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I want to zoom in to show the detail in a construction diagram. How can I generate those wavy lines that indicate that the rest of the diagram is missing?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Jennifer

Here's what I was able to come up with. I sliced a circle into thirds, then took the two ends and lined them up end-to-end. I then aligned the left side of a rectangle with the center line of the circle fragments. I then selected all of the fragments that were outside the rectangle and the rectangle and made a union. I then selected the whole mess and fragmented. Then I overlapped that on the cut-away ends, set the fill to white and turned off lines.

There must be a better way.

vojo

many easier ways

If under time pressure, this what I would do

Draw a true zigzag vertical line...select the line....format ==> lower right corner ==>lines ==>rounding

Jennifer

Quote from: vojo on December 14, 2019, 04:36:56 AM
many easier ways

If under time pressure, this what I would do

Draw a true zigzag vertical line...select the line....format ==> lower right corner ==>lines ==>rounding
That is easier. Thanks

Then once I have the wavy line, do I use it to fragment a rectangle as above and overlay that on the image segment? Or is there an easier way to do that, too?

vojo

draw 3 lines
- horizontal top
- horizontal bottom
- vertical the other side

Make 3 sides of a rectangle

drag waving to be 4th side

turn on developer mode (you will want that for many things)   File ==> advanced options ==> at the bottom

select all for lines

Join them   developer ==> operations ==> join

new shape should fill with white (if not, open shape shapesheet and go to geometry section and top left set no fill to false)

vojo

If you just want to trim the picture, then copy jpeg or png to power point  (or paste into visio) and use clip function in the format section.   This allow you to pick what you want....when done, only selection area is shown.

Jennifer

Quote from: vojo on December 14, 2019, 10:17:35 PM
draw 3 lines
- horizontal top
- horizontal bottom
- vertical the other side

Make 3 sides of a rectangle

drag waving to be 4th side

turn on developer mode (you will want that for many things)   File ==> advanced options ==> at the bottom

select all for lines

Join them   developer ==> operations ==> join

new shape should fill with white (if not, open shape shapesheet and go to geometry section and top left set no fill to false)

Thanks

Jennifer

Quote from: vojo on December 14, 2019, 10:21:35 PM
If you just want to trim the picture, then copy jpeg or png to power point  (or paste into visio) and use clip function in the format section.   This allow you to pick what you want....when done, only selection area is shown.
Thanks