Line jumps to side when I try to zoom out and draw it

Started by andrejjj222, December 01, 2019, 01:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrejjj222

When I try to draw a straight line in Visio and zoom out to draw it my line jumps to the side and becomes longer then I intended. I attached a file of how the line looks when I try to draw a straight line. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

andrejjj222

Thanks for letting me know! Just attached the file.

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

andrejjj222

I attached it to the original post and now my first reply. I will attach here too.

wapperdude

Guess I don't understand what you're doing.  I opened your file and everything behaves properly.  Zoomed in, zoomed out.  Makes no difference,  The line goes wherever I draw it and only there.

At least on my version of Visio I can find no issues.
Visio 2019 Pro

andrejjj222

Oh ok, must be my version of Visio then. Thank you!

wapperdude

It's not something th a t I've seen before, nor is it something that's come up on the forum.  In general, I don't think it's a Visio version problem.

Could explain exactly what steps and the sequence, to provide better understanding. 
Is this a new file?
Does it happen all the time?
Is it just vertical lines, or lines at any angle?

It might be any of the following:
1) corrupted Visio, needs reinstallation
2) some add-in
3) out-of-date video driver
Visio 2019 Pro

andrejjj222

My problem only happens when I use the line tool. I select the line tool and when I place my mouse where I want to start the line and then zoom out to draw the line to another point that is far away my line tilts to the side and becomes very long (as shown in the previously attached file). It does not draw the straight line I was intending to draw.

Thanks,
Andrej

wapperdude

Don't think that scenario works well.  I'd draw the line,then grab an end and stretch it.
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

if really long, then

1) draw short line
2) zoom out
3) eyeball rough where you want to go
4) select short line
5) open size and position
6) set end point
7) zoom in and go to end
8) tweak as necessary.

I have never had a problem with long lines using just drag the end points
(may take time for visio to move the sheet around, but works for me)
make sure cursor outside the drawing window...that tells visio to pan right left up down.

andrejjj222

The problem is when I try to use the shift key to draw a straight line and am unable to because the line jumps to the side

andrejjj222

Here is a video of what happens.

PLEASE WATCH WHOLE VIDEO

Thanks

vojo

shift key not usually for this....so maybe VBA is seeing lots of shift key events before you move cursor.
maybe some delays before processing key events or at least debug the events.

something like this may be something area not thought about