show text next to a shape

Started by hidden layer, October 10, 2019, 10:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hidden layer

Hello Heros,

I started to understand what's possible with formulas in ShapeSheet (from scratch)
and this is really exiting! Thanks so far for lots of help.

One Thing I haven't found yet:
it is possible to show some text next to every Geometry of a shape?
This text shall be editable with field in ShapeData-section and shall be the same at all Geometries of that shape.

I can add text simply by just typing it while a shape is selected. Then the text appears at Geomety1 only. Is this accessible in some Shape-Sheet-section?

I can add a comment (with formula) but then you have to hover over the shape's geometry.

Instead of that I want to see it always (best would be if this is right of the geometry).

Thanks for any hint.
hl

I use Visio2010 in German Version - please excuse some differences in naming menues or Terms.

Surrogate

In Visio one shape can have ONLY ONE text field. You cant add text to few shape's geometry !

hidden layer

Hi Surrogate,
thanks!
that saves at one hand a lot of time.

The Thing is that all of the geometries have Offsets (accessible via ShapeData).

on the other hand i have to use textfields and set their location dependent on these Offsets (which I wanted to avoid...).

if any other Suggestion could work - please let me know.

thanks again,
hl

Yacine

If you don't mind transforming your shape into a group you could use the tool in the link below.
http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=6318
Yacine

hidden layer

Hello Yacine,

the task I'm working with is not about showing external data but more a simulation tool with dependencies between shapes.
Because the structure is a bit complex I have to automate these dependencies to avoid mistakes.

As I said, I'm just starting with these probabilities and sometimes it's really hard to find the right answer.
Or the right question... ;)

So thanks a lot
hl

Yacine

Maybe you misunderstood me.

Say, I want to display data next to geometries from a shape. By means of a macro I can set the number of items to display and maybe even automate the content to display.
Say also that this shape is a group.
Then I can insert subshapes that will display these data and have control points at top level to position them.

That's a trivial and fast solution.
Yacine

hidden layer

I watched the YouTube-Video and understood what you mean. It is excellent for planning activities which data Comes from Excel. But actually I'm quiet good in Excel and do such graphics inside Excel.

But handle dependencies between multiple objects I did in Excel too and just stumbled across Visio's formulas into shapesheets. Excel-formulas are much faster than any code and here it seems the same.
I wrote some userform to hide/ Show some layers through all Sheets and this takes 2 minutes...c'mon.

many ways lead to Rome and you can have the same effect with complete different approaches.
Sometimes I wonder how I did it when I see how the others did and vice versa.

meanwhile I have it solved with fields into texts whose Text and Position came from shapesheets (without grouping them).

And thanks for your Overall help here!
Great Applause!

hl

wapperdude

I'm curious.  Would you mind uploading a simple example?  If for nothing else, should someone come across this thread and would like to see the end result.

Thanks.
Visio 2019 Pro

hidden layer

hello,
it's just the beginning. the idea is to show if any consumer ist active dependent on a status of different controls (switches, relays). And to show that to the others who didn't get the point - y'know...

and this is only because I didn't found some simulation tool in the wild. Sometimes I can use LOGOComfort (Siemens) but sometimes it's a bit more difficult. But at first I'm learning, second I have fun with and 3rd it's a challenge...who need more?

If there's kind of solution/help/hints that could fit into this idea - I'd appreciate it - like your manual, wapperdude ;)

cheers,
hl

oh - I forgot: check the shape-data for (currently) user-defined actions. This is just test stadium.

Yacine

I checked your drawing. It's exactly what I recommended. Check the GIFs in the post instead of the Youtube video.

When having created the sub-shape(s), open its/their shapesheet(s) and add manually the desired geometry.
Yacine

hidden layer

hi there,
I just played around a bit with the stuff and here's the result so far. For now it's a top-to-bottom-solution only.
I'm a bit overstrained by avoiding the circular reference to make it working in both directions but I'm working on it. The almost only hint I found in http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=3467.0 and I have to check this again.
Currently the relations between the masters are "hardwired". And you have to get the handle of the switches by right-clicking at the sub-shape.
But for me it's o.k because I have not to draw a new schematic every day but I have to check what's the outcome at different conditions so far. And as more complex a schematic is as more I need a stuff like that. At some schematics there are 22 relays with up to 6 contacts and a dozen of Switches.
I'll check if I can allocate the relations by some vba or userform but not now. The first would be to activate the Switch by double click... but step by step.

have fun!
hl

hidden layer

Hello,
as I want to Close this Topic I have to explain what was the origin of this question:

More or less I stumbled across the opportunity that there are more than one geometries possible in a single shape. So my thinking goes in direction 'make a relay out of it'.
Meanwhile I read here and there about dependencies between shapes and solved the Task in another way.
The circular reference warning Pops up but the Simulation works fine. If I run into a Problem with this I'll open another thread.
I thought about to put this into the 'user-submitted-stuff' but 1st I want to make this allocation (shapes <-> Connections) a bit more comfortable.

So from my perspective this thread is [CLOSED] related to the opening question.

Thanks so far for your participation, thanks for the blog at all and have a nice Weekend!
hl