Sizing your stencils

Started by shayneneal, October 08, 2019, 10:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shayneneal

I was wondering if someone who had created stencils for objects could help me with the sizing.  When I created my switch I was forced to make the text size 2 and everything I did was so small I constantly found myself wanting to zoom in farther than possible and I was wondering if anyone with more experience could tell me if there would be any downside to building the object much larger and then right before I save it as a stencil I could shrink it down to the 19" size I need for the rack dimension.

Are there any good posts on creating stencils?

wapperdude

Visio text doesn't change with drawing scale factor.

As your target is 19" racks, I'd recommend building shape with appropriate page scale.  Visio defaults to school a l e = 1:1, no units.  Try something like 0.25 in = 1 in.  Then, for any "reasonable" scale setting, text would be fine.

There's also "anti-scaling" technique...but don't think it's appropriate for this task.

Not tried it, but there might be a custom formula you could create...
  >  when page scale factor ratio increases, font size decreases.
  >  For really large ratios, hide the font
Visio 2019 Pro

shayneneal

I will try to create the shape in 1:1 and see what the end result is.  I need to get more advanced with this program because I want to start using it more to justify the $15 a month I have been paying for the past 3 years.  I have been using it for a couple decades but just doing the same thing over and over and I know that my usage hasn't touched the surface of what it can do.

Building my own shapes and stencils might be am ambitious start but I have to start somewhere and I need these shapes built so it makes sense.

vojo

don't want to scare you, but I have been "learning" for 20 years and still find new things everyday..good luck
At the time (2000 or so) visio offered a lot of unique capabilities...but today, there are a lot of tools that are on par with visio
So may want to consider them as well (even ppt has added similar capabilities to visio)

wapperdude

Quote from: shayneneal on October 22, 2019, 11:35:02 PM
I will try to create the shape in 1:1 and see what the end result is. 

Not recommended.  At minimum, include the units, inches in this case.  Recommend using scale factor in previous reply.  That way your shape will be drawn to correct scale to fit the 19" rack.  The text will be properly sized, and should be OK for minor page scale changes.

If the Char size remains a problem, then a page scaling formula can be incorporated.
Visio 2019 Pro

shayneneal

Quote from: wapperdude on October 23, 2019, 02:56:51 PM
Quote from: shayneneal on October 22, 2019, 11:35:02 PM
I will try to create the shape in 1:1 and see what the end result is. 

Not recommended.  At minimum, include the units, inches in this case.  Recommend using scale factor in previous reply.  That way your shape will be drawn to correct scale to fit the 19" rack.  The text will be properly sized, and should be OK for minor page scale changes.

If the Char size remains a problem, then a page scaling formula can be incorporated.

I agree... the 1:1 caused me issues in trying to resize the shapes to match the rack shapes.  I still am a mile away from understanding how these guys make these amazing shapes for the vendor stencils... but i am working on it.