Moving sub-menu items to a toolbar

Started by manwave27, April 16, 2009, 04:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwave27

Has anyone tried to place any of the entities available in the Visio Extras Menu to a toolbar. (Say create an icon for the "Move" command)

Visio Guy

I've never been able to get any Macro or Add-ons menu-items to be customizable.

This is kind of a sore-point for Visio customizers and developers. I think they are in some way "generated on the fly", and so aren't available when you try to "Customize..." the menus and toolbars.

I can understand this for macros, which live in VBA projects, which live in Visio documents, which may or may not be open at any given time. And Visio doesn't have any "global" style macros that live in a "Normal.dot" like in Word.

But the add-ons that you see under "Extras" are checked and loaded at run-time. So I don't know why they aren't available.

Anyway, Lars-Erik wrote a tutorial on how to create custom menu bars with code. I think he uses CommandBars in his example:

[Tutorial] Make your own menu bar

The process for toolbars is similar. Visio add-ons can be called by custom menu and toolbar items.

There is another path for modifying the UI, which you do via Visio's UIObject. You might check the Visio SDK and developer reference for more info if you are insterested.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010