Adding stencils, templates etc. to Visio Online

Started by Paul Herber, September 06, 2019, 12:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Herber

Can anyone tell me what the official way is to add new stencils and templates to the online versions of Visio? Do msi installers still work? Is there still a My Shapes folder?
Thanks.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Nikolay

As far as I know, only stock shapes are supported?
Means, you cannot have your custom stencils or templates in the online version.

Nikolay

They created really a confusion here I think.
There is "online 1" which is in-browser web-version , and "online 2" which is basically what we always had (normal desktop application, i.e. Visio Pro) with a monthly/annual subscription... All the things you mentioned work the same with it ("online 2"), as it is essentially the same application

Paul Herber

So, with Plan 1 there can be no 3rd-party additions at all. Plan 2 is business as usual.
I suppose that is reasonably good news.
Thanks.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Visio Guy

But if you put custom shapes in a drawing (that actually work), and save it to the cloud, a Plan 1 user can use and edit it (I believe, but I'm not sure).

So then we'll have one Plan 2 guy putting all the shapes in the left margin, and sharing the file as a makeshift template for his Plan 1 team members.

I did try my Text on a Circle shape a few months ago, and it actually worked online!
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Surrogate

Quote from: Visio Guy on September 06, 2019, 08:27:46 PM
But if you put custom shapes in a drawing (that actually work), and save it to the cloud, a Plan 1 user can use and edit it (I believe, but I'm not sure).

So then we'll have one Plan 2 guy putting all the shapes in the left margin, and sharing the file as a makeshift template for his Plan 1 team members.
But if document contain one of 'Advanced features' which are not supported in Visio Online Plan 1, user can only add comments in this document and can't open document for edit!
List of limitations (aka 'Advanced features') you can find there.

vojo

so got pushed to office 365.

I got to say this is the only 2nd good thing MS has done in 20 years
- 2000:  Big storage summit....MS "hey I got more colors in my pallet"
- 2003:  Good solid set office tools
- 2007:  That vomit call new UI
- 2013:  Visio bugs
- 2020:  Office 365 visio...excellent

Office 365 picked up my home grown stencils, templates, settings across all the apps.  Migration was very well done
Congrats MS.  All app UIs are cleaner and usable.  Visio made some excellent UI improvements

Only comment is that MS wants to move for Skype to Teams...so in office 365, it adds a boat load of bugs to skype...yes add bugs ...around chat display, attendees, chat window, chat history...teams work well

In general, MS did a nice job with office 365 including visio

wapperdude

@Vojo:  I think one correction needed...
The new UI, aka, the ribbon, was 2010, not 2007.

My observation:
2007 was an upgrade from 2003, and the last release of the traditional UI.

2019:  MS almost has the ribbon done right.  Most bugs fixed.  Still, some bonehead residuals.  But all-in-all, pretty good release.
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

What about 'Themes'?

All shapes are added with default theme settings !