Author Topic: Adding stencils, templates etc. to Visio Online  (Read 1312 times)

Paul Herber

• Global Moderator
    • Paul Herber's website
Adding stencils, templates etc. to Visio Online
« on: September 06, 2019, 07:42:01 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the official way is to add new stencils and templates to the online versions of Visio? Do msi installers still work? Is there still a My Shapes folder?
Thanks.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils and applications for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Nikolay

• UnmanagedVisio
Re: Adding stencils, templates etc. to Visio Online
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 11:01:39 AM »
As far as I know, only stock shapes are supported?
Means, you cannot have your custom stencils or templates in the online version.

Nikolay

• UnmanagedVisio
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »
They created really a confusion here I think.
There is "online 1" which is in-browser web-version , and "online 2" which is basically what we always had (normal desktop application, i.e. Visio Pro) with a monthly/annual subscription... All the things you mentioned work the same with it ("online 2"), as it is essentially the same application
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:11:06 AM by Nikolay »

Paul Herber

• Global Moderator
    • Paul Herber's website
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »
So, with Plan 1 there can be no 3rd-party additions at all. Plan 2 is business as usual.
I suppose that is reasonably good news.
Thanks.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils and applications for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Visio Guy

• Administrator
  • Smart Graphics for Visual People...n' Stuff
    • Visio Guy
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 03:27:46 PM »
But if you put custom shapes in a drawing (that actually work), and save it to the cloud, a Plan 1 user can use and edit it (I believe, but I'm not sure).

So then we'll have one Plan 2 guy putting all the shapes in the left margin, and sharing the file as a makeshift template for his Plan 1 team members.

I did try my Text on a Circle shape a few months ago, and it actually worked online!
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Surrogate

• ShapeSheet™ Knowledge Base
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 01:18:01 AM »
But if you put custom shapes in a drawing (that actually work), and save it to the cloud, a Plan 1 user can use and edit it (I believe, but I'm not sure).

So then we'll have one Plan 2 guy putting all the shapes in the left margin, and sharing the file as a makeshift template for his Plan 1 team members.
But if document contain one of 'Advanced features' which are not supported in Visio Online Plan 1, user can only add comments in this document and can't open document for edit!
List of limitations (aka 'Advanced features') you can find there.