Quite confused with Visio online

Started by StephenGay, July 27, 2019, 07:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGay

I have been a strong advocate of Visio; but both confused and frustrated with latest developments.  I have an old Standard Visio license which works well, but have a relatively new computer.  I wanted a trial version of Visio; and ended up having to download a cloud-based system.  It seemed to me that I could not download the file onto my computer (although I gave up), and worse still I could not access Visio from Excel VBA at all.

I suspect the glory days of Visio are over; but not sure.  Any comments or advice appreciated.

P.S.  I am on linkedIn, and after being in group Visio Enthusiasts for about 10 years only just hear about Visio Guy?

wapperdude

You can still obtain Visio as a stand alone product.  Not sure about trial copy.  Cloud-based is exactly that, Visio resides on the cloud, not your PC, aka, Visio365.  Similarly with other office products.
Visio 2019 Pro

StephenGay

Thanks for response.

So in simple terms Visio (Office 365) does not allow VBA access from Excel.

There is no Visio Standard trial verion (i.e. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5fec9435-0c2a-4246-bdf7-1ae24092e2d4/visio-2016-standard-trial?forum=visiogeneral)

I do not think Microsoft is doing justice to Visio.

But in general there may be real problems with using VBA for any products in Office 365.

wapperdude

As I've avoid the "365" versions I can't really comment with certainty.  But I believe your analysis and conclusion are not correct.  June The 2nd has used V365, as have others, shortly after it came out and has not encountered ant major issues. 

You might want to check the following:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/show-the-developer-tab-e1192344-5e56-4d45-931b-e5fd9bea2d45

Regarding not knowing about the VisioGuy forum, it is an independent forum provided by one of the original Visio developers.  It's not associated with M$.  So, discovery is "word of mouth" type thing. 
Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

It is not quite clear what you mean by saying that you cannot access Visio from Excel VBA.
Do you have Visio installed on your machine? Or you are talking about the in-browser version? Note that even if you are using "Visio 365" (Visio Online Plan 2), you still need to install Visio on your computer to be able to use all features (such as VBA)