Sub Shape Text: Reference to Parent Group Shape Data within Master Editor

Started by SKahle89, August 23, 2019, 01:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKahle89

This shouldn't be that difficult, but I am struggling to find a straight forward solution out there. 

I am trying to make a master for a PCB board terminal block.   Normally the terminations are labeled numerically, but not always.   I want to create Shape Data fields on the top level group, what I have called "MasterGroup" in my master.  I created 6 Shape Data text fields on the "MasterGroup" and now I want to refer to those fields in a sub-shapes text.

I tried doing an "Insert->Field->Shape Data" but of course, that only gives you the shape data of the currently selected child.  If you insert some other category/field, it will create the "Text Fields" row in the child's ShapeSheet.  This seemed like progress, so I tried to enter a formula such as =MasterGroup!Prop.T1_Label to refer to the Shape Data I defined on the top level of groupings.   Unfortunately I received a "Error in Formula" warning.   

Looking for suggestions or links to posts to help.  Thanks in advance!

-Seth

SKahle89

SOLVED:
I found the issue:   The problem is that ShapeSheet formulas must use the universal name, NameU rather than the local name, Name.   So when I was referencing =MasterGroup!Prop.T1_Label, I was trying to refer to the local name because I used the Shape Name dialog to rename my group.   

Next question:  I know the only way to change the NameU is to use VBA; anyone know how to do this WITHIN THE MASTER EDITOR?