Simple method for rotating in equal amounts

Started by Jennifer, June 13, 2019, 01:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I am working on an illustration that requires 8 overlapping "links" be evenly arranged around a circle. The links are fat lines that have been curved to fit the circumference of the circle. But then each link is tilted by 5°, which is what makes this difficult. I fiddled around for an hour or so trying to get the spacing even. Then I hit on an idea.

I put one link on the top of the circle, tilted it 5°, and then moved it manually until one end was about as far inside the circle and the other end was outside. Them I drew a radius line from the center of the circle out to the link and make them into a group. Now the radius line shows me exactly how to orient the other links.

I made a copy of the link+radius group and rotated it by 45°. I then moved it to that the inner end of the radius line was at the center of the circle. Perfect fit!!! Then I just had to repeat that for the other 6 links and I have the equally spaced diagram that is attached.

I thought I would offer this technique to the group as a small "thank you" for all the help I have received over the years. I hope someone can make use of it.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

vojo

FYI....you can automate this

See attached
- in free mode, you can skew things at will
- in iso mode, it will do the math based on width
- yes there are a few bugs around layer / move to front  behaviors

So
- make say 8 of these
- align over top of each other
- use shape properties to define behavior (start / stop angles, thickness, etc)

At least this can show you how to automate if you want

Jennifer

Thanks for that. If I were to do a lot of this, I'm sure that would be valuable. But with my skill level, I think it would take me longer to figure out than to do it manually.  :'(

Cheers
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

;D ;D ;D
Don't know if this qualifies as "simple"   :o.  But it does qualify as "fun"  ::)  and versatile.  See this:  http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=566.msg2396#msg2396

It will place objects in circular or partial arc arrays.  Below is attached example file with your specific task...with embellishments, of course.  Macro is included in the file.

Have fun.
Visio 2019 Pro