Creating a custom 'table-like' stencil for AV designs

Started by tehcube, June 06, 2019, 06:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehcube

Hello all,

First post here, I've been trying to do this since I started working with visio but have yet to find a solution that is 100% satisfactory.
Basically, I'm trying to create a simple table-like stencil that has a title on top, and two columns (inputs on the left, outputs on the right). I want to use that for basically any type of equipment with ins and outs.
Ideally it would work similarly to the Entity Crow's Feet blabla stencil, where you can easily drag attributes onto it and it resize the stencil automatically, so you just fill in the input/output you need. All I would then need to do is add connection points on each input/output and I'd be done.

Alternatively, I tried using the Grid in business/charts stencils, but it's not very easy to work with. I can add rows easily but it seems that the resize border (the "REAL" size of the grid) stays at 10x10 so that makes it hard to add connectors properly and move it around in large drawings. Also, merging the two rows on top is harder than I thought.

I can also create a shape myself, but again it's hard to resize, add new rows, etc. I want to keep everything as similar as possible, helps with my OCD. :)

I attached two photos of what I imagine it will look like:
Please give me some ideas, I'd love to find a quick solution to this.
I managed to find a complex software solution online that ALSO has these kind of templates ready-made, but it's a huge solution from which i just need ONE stencil, so I'd rather figure it out myself. Thank you!

vojo

if no reuse, just draw what you need

if reuse, then 2 options
1: (easiest):  Enable guides (view==>box with grid==> lower left arrow ==> advanced ==> set what guides you want)

2: (harder): use the shape attached and manually build the table cell by cell
                  use the controls to attach cells to each other.
                  Not perfect but might be enough

tehcube

Hello and thanks a lot for replying!
I am using this kind of element in every drawing, at least 10-20 times (depending on how complex the drawing is). Every equipment I add has inputs and outputs and I'm using this type of shape that I drew myself and saved as a "template".

The main issue I'm having is how long it takes me to change that template, add a few lines or remove some lines from the inputs/outputs and connectors, resize it, etc.
This is why I'm willing to spend some time creating a template that I can easily edit.
I will play with the attachment you gave me and will see how that works when adding/removing info from it and resizing.

I was hoping there's already some kind of stencil implemented that allows me to do this (like Grid or Crow's feet Entity) which you can just add lines to and it will make it the exact same size as the ones above, and then you can resize/move at will. :)
Edit: When I say "adding or removing lines" I mean the equipment's attributes, like say I'm editing a display that has 2 HDMI inputs and I want to add another DVI input, so I have to resize the shape, make it larger, add another text line and a connector. But when resizing I have to move the other connectors, etc. That's what I'm trying to fix.

wapperdude

This sounds like a "container" methodology.  You can drag n drop onto a container and it will expand to fit.  Indeed, the Visio objects you refer to are containers.  Google the forum.

Here are a couple of posts I submitted a while ago...both have useful links
http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=8697.msg38005#msg38005
http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=8686.msg37947#msg37947
Visio 2019 Pro

tehcube

That's very interesting, I am working with containers a lot but I never figured of using them this way.
I just used them to separate various parts of the drawing so far (like "this goes into the rack", "This goes under the table", "this will be installed in the ceiling" sort of scenarios).

Indeed I've been playing around with it and I can use two lists (like the Entity in the Crow's Foot Database that you are using in the same files), and then put them into a container, and add another title block above. Then I hid the lines of the container so it doesn't take up unnecessary space and it looks pretty much perfect.
It feels weird working with them in this fashion (as containers and not stencils) but I'll definitely give it a try since it seems much faster once I create a "template container". And adding attributes is easy, it automatically creates the connection points, etc. I'll definitely be testing this over the next few weeks and come back to post some samples once I figure out the kinks, in case others will need a similar approach.

Basically, any equipment I'm adding to my drawings can be represented by such container, so if this works as I need it do, it will make my life a lot easier!
Thanks for the tip, I'll get started on this right away. :)

tehcube

Hello,

I'm bumping this as I had some time to play with it and I got really close to what I want to be the final version of the stencil I'd use to create new blocks.
It's basically based on two lists (inputs and outputs) which I'll align, slap on a title sheet and add/remove options as per needed.

The one thing that I'm currently struggling is auto-populating the Input and Output lists when I drag them on the page.
I changed the eventdrop to populate them with 5 items each, and that works fine, but the one thing I can't figure out is how to choose which type of list items to populate them with.

It seems that in the shape sheet of the list master, the User.msvSDListItemMaster will only work if the value is Use("List box item"), even though visio's help says that it should work by using any master name or unique id.

What I wanted to do is create one list item master for inputs and one for outputs but no matter if I rename this master or change the shape name in developer -> shape name it makes no difference whatsoever. If User.msvSDListItemMaster is the default it works, if not, it will give me a blank list.
Attached a screenshot of what I mean, and the stencils I created.

TL:DR version - is it possible to populate my Inputs List with the Input master and my Outputs List with the Output master? :)

Yacine

Write in the master field the list values, separated by semi-colons.
In the format cell of the list field refer to the master.

prop.myMaster = "a;b;c"
prop.myList.Format = prop.myMaster
(Assuming prop.myList.Type = 1)
Yacine