Direct the way a dynamic connector glues to a shape

Started by iankoe, June 02, 2019, 07:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iankoe

I am connecting two shapes.  See the attached picture.  I am drawing a connector from the right edge of the ball & socket shape to the left edge of the port shape (the small box on the left edge of module 2).

When I do this, I get the result in line 2.

What I want is for it look like the result in line 3.  In other words, I want the connector to stick straight out from the port, then hang a right, then hang a left and connect to the socket.

I have tried playing with the Connection point directions in the port shape to no avail.  Any ideas?

vojo

maybe these will help (look at shape data to control attributes)

They are not automatic but will bring order and discipline to your life  ;-) ;-) ;-)

(based on a lot of June's stuff)

iankoe

I am not understanding.  I dont see how the shapes control the way connections are made.  Could you maybe elaborate a bit?

vojo

1:  pull end points over shape 1 and shape 2 connection points
2:  user handle to move the middle leg where you want it along the path
3:  use shape data to change the angle of the middle leg

it pretty trivial!!!   If you don't see how it helps you, then pls move on to a different approach from somebody else.

Yes this will NOT be done automatically, but you can adjust it manually to specifically what you want.
(and if you want to make a custom connector, those will give a lot of clues)

iankoe

Thanks anyway.  I see how the data controls the shape and the angles, but not how it helps an incoming dynamic connnector.  Oh well.  I'll keep plugging.

wapperdude

There's no way to force the default routing behavior of connectors.  As Vojo indicates, you need to manually reposition the segment.
Visio 2019 Pro