Pasting small graphics into Word without leading

Started by Jennifer, June 01, 2019, 12:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I am working on a document that makes use of several Visio diagrams. Some of the diagrams have small callouts (letters in small circles). I would like to paste these callouts into the Word document, but when I do, they have a lot of leading both before and after the symbol. As a result, it is raised up from the rest of the text on that line (after leading) and it forces the line to be separated from the previous line as it double spaced (before leading).

Is there some way that I can get rid of this and have the graphic without any extra space?

I tried pasting it into IrfanView. There it does not show any leading. If I copy the image from IrfanView to the clipboard and paste that into Word, most of the leading is gone. But then, it is only visible in page mode, not draft mode.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on June 01, 2019, 12:13:29 AM
I think an uploaded example will help a lot.
(sigh) OK, I've uploaded a small Visio doc with the callouts and a small Word doc with the references.

vojo

back when the planet was cooling, you could copy and paste visio diagrams natively into word.
However, these days, its really more about pasting pictures or bitmaps

1:  select shape
2:  select copy
3:  in word, paste special
4:  Jpeg, png, epm as you wish...picture (metadata) or device independent bitmap have clear backgrounds

Croc

You can try to slightly correct the image using the "Crop" function and the font format. You can even write a macro. Like that
    Selection.InlineShapes(1).PictureFormat.CropLeft = 0.72
    Selection.InlineShapes(1).PictureFormat.CropRight = 0.72
    Selection.InlineShapes(1).PictureFormat.CropTop = 0.72
    Selection.InlineShapes(1).PictureFormat.CropBottom = 0.72 
    Selection.Font.Position = -2

Jennifer

Quote from: vojo on June 01, 2019, 01:43:06 AM
back when the planet was cooling, you could copy and paste visio diagrams natively into word.
Maybe I got started with Visio after most of the cooling was over with, so I'm not sure what you mean by "natively". It's still possible to paste a link to a shape, at least that's what the dialog says, but I've never used that feature. I always clear it with Ctrl+Shift+F9.

QuoteHowever, these days, its really more about pasting pictures or bitmaps

1:  select shape
2:  select copy
3:  in word, paste special
4:  Jpeg, png, epm as you wish...picture (metadata) or device independent bitmap have clear backgrounds
Yes, I am aware of those options. The problem is that they get inserted in a format that is only visible in Page/Print mode/layout, not Draft mode, which is how I like to work.

And the background is not the problem. It's the leafing -- the space above and below the graphic.

Thanks

Jennifer

Quote from: Croc on June 01, 2019, 05:26:57 AM
You can try to slightly correct the image using the "Crop" function and the font format. You can even write a macro. Like that
    Selection.InlineShapes(1).PictureFormat.CropLeft = 0.72
    Selection.InlineShapes(1).PictureFormat.CropRight = 0.72
    Selection.InlineShapes(1).PictureFormat.CropTop = 0.72
    Selection.InlineShapes(1).PictureFormat.CropBottom = 0.72 
    Selection.Font.Position = -2
Wowie Zowie!!! That's pretty cool. Sadly, you are a few floors over my head. I'll have to stick with adjusting the size setting under Picture Tools | Format.

Thanks

wapperdude

This is not really a Visio issue.  It is a Word issue and how Word wraps text around a non-text object.  Word offers many options for wrapping text.  In my opinion, none work particularly well.  It is possible to place the callout so that it is centered and doesn't disturb the line spacing.  But, it doesn't move with the text.  If you want it to move with the text, I'm not aware of how to center the object in the text line.  Perhaps Word forums might have solution.

@Vojo:  Paste special as Visio Drawing Object is and has been available.  That still allows you to call up the "native" Visio app to edit the object.  However, this does not help the placement in Word. 

(Side note:  this is one place that Power Point seems better:  wrapping text.)
Visio 2019 Pro

Croc

Jennifer, I understand that macros are a nuisance. But the manual work is even worse. Let me offer you this script.
CropShape.vbs is a standalone script. It is similar to a macro, but not related to a specific document. You can put it in any folder or even on Desktop.
If you need to adjust the position of one or more graphic objects in a Word document, then you must select a piece of text that includes these objects and double-click on the CropShape.vbs file or its icon.
The script will find the open document and adjusts the graphic objects.

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on June 01, 2019, 02:57:10 PM
This is not really a Visio issue.  It is a Word issue and how Word wraps text around a non-text object.  Word offers many options for wrapping text.  In my opinion, none work particularly well.  It is possible to place the callout so that it is centered and doesn't disturb the line spacing.  But, it doesn't move with the text.  If you want it to move with the text, I'm not aware of how to center the object in the text line.  Perhaps Word forums might have solution.

I'm pretty sure this isn't (solely) a Word issue. If I copy some clipart on the Internet to the clipboard then paste it into Word, I do not have this problem. The graphic sits squarely on the baseline with the surrounding text and if I scale it to the same height, it does not cause extra leading.

I don't have time right now to post examples, but I do this all the time. I only have the problem with Visio. I've even done it with Paint withoiut these problems.

Jennifer

Quote from: Croc on June 01, 2019, 03:54:38 PM
Jennifer, I understand that macros are a nuisance. But the manual work is even worse. Let me offer you this script.
CropShape.vbs is a standalone script. It is similar to a macro, but not related to a specific document. You can put it in any folder or even on Desktop.
If you need to adjust the position of one or more graphic objects in a Word document, then you must select a piece of text that includes these objects and double-click on the CropShape.vbs file or its icon.
The script will find the open document and adjusts the graphic objects.
That's amazing. I'll give it a try. Thanks a million!!!   :)

Someday when I have lots of free time, I'm going to ask you to show me how you do those cool little videos.

Croc

QuoteSomeday when I have lots of free time, I'm going to ask you to show me how you do those cool little videos.
Using LICEcup - https://licecap.en.softonic.com/

Jennifer

Quote from: Croc on June 01, 2019, 05:03:23 PM
QuoteSomeday when I have lots of free time, I'm going to ask you to show me how you do those cool little videos.
Using LICEcup - https://licecap.en.softonic.com/
Thanks

vojo

natively = actually embedding a visio object in word so you can use visio to edit it while in the document
                worked great in 2003 office....somewhere between 2003 and 2013 it does not work anymore.
                now you can only copy/paste special static images (e.g. clipart like behaviors) of visio into word.

as for spacing, I don't usually paste little symbols into word (might want to look at subscript / superscript) so don't know much.
Since I don't do small images, might try if word supports 'send to back / bring to front" and place symbol behind word object
Then play with character spacing to get the appearance you want since the word object in front of visio image.

Another option would be to look at word character insert...there are a lot of characters that do smiley faces etc that you can insert that way...yes not multi colored but position & spacing more controllable.  You may even be able to superscript/subscript those special characters.

BTW, not sure you really want to do this with visio images since if you edit the words in document...the place you want the visio object will move around.   Even if you add images as the very last task before document release...will have to play with placement on next revision.

wapperdude

Yes.  I forgot.  Visio will place a border around the shape.  I believe they do this to ensure that outer edge lines remain at complete width as half line width is inside of shape and half is outside.

If you change your page scaling factor to something like 8" = 1", and set your font to 60 pt, then, after you import the Visio shape, it is easy to see the extra spacing that Visio generated.  I merely did a copy / paste special as Visio drawing object.

If you do simple paste (cntl +V), you will get same looking Word insert, except it'll just be a picture, not a Visio object.  I don't know of a way to eliminate this border.

Visio 2019 Pro